Permits for small-scale building works

Are you planning to build a roof dormer, replace window frames, place solar panels, add a glass conservatory onto your house or carry out other minor renovations? You can get a permit for this.

The municipality can issue a permit for the following small-scale building works listed below.

  • additions and extensions
  • wall removal/building demolition
  • roof dormers and skylights
  • dovecotes
  • bicycle shed in the front garden
  • changes to window frames and façades
  • advertising (small advertisements do not require a permit)
  • roller shutters and awnings
  • satellite dish
  • combining 2 homes into one
  • flagpole
  • solar collectors and solar panels

For these types of small-scale building works, the municipality can assess your application on a limited number of criteria.

Apart from the application form, you may also have to submit 1 or more of the following depending on your application:

  • scale drawings (with the exact measurements) of both the current and the new situation
  • cale drawings (with the exact measurements) showing details, floor plans, facades, cross-sections
  • photos, also of the surroundings
  • constructive drawings and calculations
  • calculations showing that the plan complies with the building code
  • soil investigation
All drawings must include the relevant measurements, colours and materials and be drawn to scale.

How long does it take?

As soon as the municipality has received all the required information, it is required to respond within 8 weeks. The municipality has the right to extend this period 1 time by 6 weeks at most. It is possible that your plan also needs an exemption from the zoning plan (in Dutch). Or that the information you provided is not complete. In that case the process could take longer.

Permit-free plans

Do you want to know if you need a permit for your building or renovation plans? Use the permit check in the Omgevingsloket Online (OLO)(External link) (in Dutch). (Archaeology is not yet part of the permit check in the OLO.)
  • Building work: A permit is not always needed for minor renovations. These renovations are permit-free. For these small renovations you can apply immediately and quickly online for a ‘permit-free building declaration’. Do you want to know if your building plans are permit-free? Go to the website link) (in Dutch) and create an account. You can use this programme to make the drawings you need for the contractor. Please note: this applies only to the following building activities: dormer, addition, extension, garden fence, skylight and solar panels. A short video explains how this works.
  • Small advertisement: Would you like to place a small advertisement on your building? For example a lightbox, advertising sign, lettering, price list, name plate or flag? In some cases this does not require a permit. For more information see Handelsreclame omgevingsvergunning aanvragen.

Calculate your building fees

The municipality charges fees for a permit. These fees are called ‘leges’. If you need a permit, you can calculate the fees for your building or renovation plans. The fee amounts are set in the municipality’s fee directive for all-in-one building permit.

Discount on building fees

Are you planning to build or renovate to make your property more sustainable? Then you could qualify for a discount on the building fees.

Apply for a permit

Apply for your permit in the Omgevingsloket Online (OLO): link).


How can we help?