Apply for a permit to convert a property into room rentals

Do you want to convert (change) a property into room rentals? You will need a conversion permit (omzettingsvergunning) from the municipality. You will then be allowed to change the property into non-independent living space (suitable for room rentals).

A conversion permit is required for room rentals for 3 or more people. The municipality is not granting any new permits in a large number of neighbourhoods. There are stricter requirements for neighbourhoods where it is still possible to get a permit.

In The Hague a conversion permit is required for room rentals for 3 or more people. A conversion permit will be granted only:

  • in neighbourhoods:

    • where the average property value (WOZ-waarde) is higher than € 435,000
    • where 5% or less of the homes are currently being used for room rentals
  • in neighbourhoods which have not been designated as vulnerable
  • for properties:

    • which have 18 square metres of living space or more per occupant
    • which meet the conditions for sound insulation if there are more than 5 occupants
    • where there are not more than 8 occupants

More information on all of the rules can be found on the page Begin link: Rent out a room, end link. .

Permit requirement

To tackle the housing shortage, the municipality requires you in certain cases to apply for a permit. You will find more information about this on the page Begin link: Measures for problems on the housing market, end link. .

You pay € 543.90 for your application. Even if you do not get a permit.

Only the owner of the property can apply for a conversion permit. Or the owner can authorise somebody else to do this on his behalf.


You can complete the form with your DigiD. If you do not yet have DigiD, you can apply for it at Begin external link: link), end external link..

When completing the form, you can indicate 2 preferred dates for an inspection by the municipality.

Are you filling in the form without DigiD? Send the completed form by email to Begin link:, end link. . The municipality will not automatically receive online applications filled in without DigiD.

By post

You can also print out the application form and send it by post to the municipality. Send it to:

Dienst Stedelijke Ontwikkeling
Postbus 12655
2500 DP Den Haag

Also see


How can we help?


More options

To contact page