Apply for a permit to convert a property into room rentals
Do you want to convert (change) a property into room rentals? You will need a conversion permit (omzettingsvergunning) from the municipality. You will then be allowed to change the property into non-independent living space (suitable for room rentals).
As of 1 June 2021 there are new rules for room rentals. A conversion permit is required for room rentals for 3 or more people. The municipality is not granting any new permits in a large number of neighbourhoods. There are stricter requirements for neighbourhoods where it is still possible to get a permit.
In The Hague a conversion permit is required for room rentals for 3 or more people. A conversion permit will be granted only:
- where the average property value (WOZ-waarde) is higher than € 355,000 (in 2023)
- where 5% or less of the homes are currently being used for room rentals
- in neighbourhoods which have not been designated as vulnerable
- which have 18 square metres of living space or more per occupant
- which meet the conditions for sound insulation if there are more than 5 occupants
- where there are not more than 8 occupants
You pay € 521.90 for your application in 2023. Even if you do not get a permit.
Only the owner of the property can apply for a conversion permit. Or the owner can authorise somebody else to do this on his behalf.
When completing the form, you can indicate 2 preferred dates for an inspection by the municipality.
You can also print out the application form and send it by post to the municipality. Send it to:
Dienst Stedelijke Ontwikkeling
2500 DP Den Haag