Rent out a room

Do you want to rent out all the rooms in your home? Or do you have a spare room you would like to rent out? You have to comply with a number of conditions.

There is growing demand among young people, (international) students and migrant workers for small temporary accommodation. A room rental is an option for these groups of people. Under this type of arrangement tenants share a living space, but they do not constitute a couple or family. These tenants share the sanitary equipment (bathroom, shower), the kitchen and the toilet/WC with each other. Sometimes they also share the living room.

In which neighbourhoods

As of 1 June 2021 the municipality will only grant new permits for room rentals in neighbourhoods where:

  • the average property value (WOZ-waarde) is higher than € 405,000. This amount is indexed annually.
  • 5% or less of the homes are currently being used for room rentals

In the image below you can see the neighbourhoods where you can apply for new permits for room rentals (reference date is 1 January 2023):

(03) Westbroekpark and Duttendel
(04) Benoordenhout
(05) Archipelbuurt
(10) Zorgvliet
(13) Vogelwijk
(15) Kijkduin and Ockenburgh
(16) Kraayenstein en Vroondaal
(43) Forepark
(44) Leidschenveen

Neighbourhoods where new room rental permits are still possible under certain conditions. (Image: CBS / Gemeente Den Haag)

Rules for renting out rooms

  • You may rent out a room without a permit to a maximum of 2 people at 1 address. This only applies if you do not live in the property yourself.
  • Do you and your family members also live in the property? Then you and your family members all count towards the maximum number of people. For example: you live alone in the property. You may then rent out a room to a maximum of 1 other person without a permit.
  • For room rentals for 3 or more people you have to apply for a conversion permit. This is a permit for converting independent living space into a space for room rentals. More information on applying for this permit can be found under Begin link: Permit to convert a property into room rentals, end link. .
  • A maximum of 8 occupants is allowed for conversion permits for room rentals.
  • The municipality will not grant any conversion permits in vulnerable neighbourhoods.
  • The person renting your room has the right to a minimum of 18 square metres of living space. This comprises the actual room plus the shared communal spaces. Such as the kitchen, toilet/WC and the bathroom.
  • There are additional rules for sound insulation for 5 people or more.
  • Are you planning to rent out 5 or more rooms in 1 property? Then you must take additional fire safety measures. You must submit a Report on Use. You can find more information on this under Begin link: Apply for an environment and planning permit, end link. .
  • Were you renting out a property to a maximum of 3 people before 1 June 2021? Then you do not need a conversion permit. It is permitted to change tenants as long as no more than 3 people are living in the property.
  • Did you stop renting out the property and would you like to rent it out again to 3 or more people? Or the property will not be used as room rentals for 6 months in a row? Then you do need a conversion permit. The permit application must comply with the new rules.
  • Do you have a conversion permit for 3 people from before 1 November 2015? Then nothing will change for you as long as the number of tenants stays the same.

In addition, it is important that you:

Private lodgings

You can rent out a room (or part of the property) in the house you are living in yourself. This type of arrangement is called ‘hospita verhuur’ in Dutch. This kind of room rental can reduce the housing shortage among (international) students.

Rules for private lodgings

The following rules apply to private lodgings:

  • The lodger rents 1 or more rooms in the property and shares facilities with the landlord. Such as the kitchen, toilet/WC and bathroom.
  • One-person households are allowed to take in 1 lodger without a permit everywhere in The Hague. 
  • Are you currently living with 2 or more people in 1 house? And would you like to rent out a room? Then you need a conversion permit. You can apply for a conversion permit in 9 neighbourhoods. More information can be found under Begin link: In which neighbourhoods, end link. .

Help with private lodgings

In The Hague there are different organisations which can help you arrange private lodgings.

Also see


How can we help?


More options

To contact page