Apply for a permit to remove a residential property from the housing stock

Are you planning to convert a residential property into a commercial space, shop or office? Or would you like to tear down a residential property or rent it out? Then you need a conversion permit. The property will then lose its residential function.

You need a conversion permit (onttrekkingsvergunning) to:

  • convert the residential property into commercial space
  • convert the residential property into a shop or office
  • demolish a residential property
  • use a residential property for lodgings; this is usually the case if you want to rent out accommodation to people who will stay in The Hague for a short time. For more information see Begin link: Renting out short stay accommodation, end link.

You can request the application form by sending an email to Begin link:, end link. .

The application form will then be sent to you.

You will pay € 543.90 for a conversion permit application. You will not get these fees back if the municipality rejects your permit application.

Because The Hague has a housing shortage, the municipality usually does not grant a conversion permit to use a residential property for lodgings. Sometimes a tailor-made solution is possible. Then the municipality will work on a legalisation track. Your buildng will get a lodgings function with the right permits: an environment and planning permit and a conversion permit.

This is only possible if you submit proof in your permit application demonstrating that your residential property has in practice been used as lodgings since its establishment (as living space).

In addition it is important that:

  • there are no known violations concerning the building, other than the provision of lodgings 
  • the building meets the structural requirements for lodgings


How can we help?


More options

To contact page