Apply for affordable housing permit

Are you going to rent a home? Then you sometimes need an affordable housing permit. Apply here for an affordable housing permit.

Are you going to rent the property from a housing association (woningcorporatie)? Then the housing association will usually arrange the affordable housing permit. You do not need to do anything yourself.

An affordable housing permit (huisvestingsvergunning) is an approval from the municipality that you are allowed to live in rented social housing or a mid-segment rental. Rented social housing is a less expensive rental property with a maximum rent of € 879.66. A mid-segment rental property has a maximum of 185 points or a rent ceiling of € 1,116.85. The municipality uses the affordable housing permit to make sure that these homes are only rented out to people who earn a low or middle income.

The rental value of a property is based on a points system. The number of points given to a property determines how high the rent is. Is the property large, or extremely energy efficient? Then the property will get more points. The more points a property gets, the higher the rental price. Read more about the point system on the Begin external link: website of the Government of the Netherlands(External link), end external link..

The permit is needed:

The permit is not needed if you:

Check if you need a permit

See if you need a permit and if your income is in line with the property.

  • Are you going to be living alone? Your taxable annual income is no more than € 47,699 per year.
  • Does your household consist of 2 or more people? Then the taxable annual income is no more than € 52,671 per year.

    • You are 18 years or older.
    • You have Dutch citizenship (nationality), a valid passport from the European Union (EU), plus  Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland, or a valid residence permit.
    • The rental property has at least 12 square metres of usable area per person.
    • Are you going to be living alone? Your taxable annual income is no more than € 62,191 per year.
    • Does your household consist of 2 or more people? Then the taxable annual income is no more than € 82,921 per year.

Always include the following documents in your application:

  • A statement by the owner that the property is being rented out in compliance with the Begin link: rules for purchase protection, end link. . Download the owner’s declaration form (eigenaarsverklaring) below.
  • A copy of the rental contract, signed by you and the landlord. Or written permission from the owner/landlord (eigenaarsverklaring) that you are allowed to live in the property.
  • An income statement for yourself and (if applicable) for the other members of your household. For example, a salary slip, a statement from your employer, or the monthly statement for your benefits or pension. This document may not be older than 3 months. Please note: bank statements showing your salary or benefits are not enough. Has your employer changed? Also include the last salary slip or statement of your benefits from your previous employer.

Owner’s declaration form

(PDF, 96.3 KB)

Extra documents

In the following situations, you need to include additional documents in your application.

Send a proof of income: a statement from your bookkeeper or accountant. The statement must contain:

  1. your taxable annual income
  2. the financial statement for the current year

You also need to send an extract from the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce KVK about your business. Did you start up a company in the last 3 months? Then only an extract is enough.

Are you a student? And you have no earnings from work or benefits? Send a copy of your registration as a full-time student.

Include a valid residence permit in your application. For more information visit the Begin external link: website of the Government of the Netherlands(External link), end external link..

Are you a citizen of a European Union (EU) country and you are not registered as a resident of the Netherlands? Include a copy of your identity document with your application.

Are you coming from abroad and are you going to work in the Netherlands? Then you need a copy of a working arrangement or a proof-of-employment statement indicating your income.

Are you divorced and do you have children under the age of 18? And is the rent no more than € 879.66 per month? You need a legally valid document describing how the custody or guardianship of the children has been arranged. This document must also state the children’s current place of residence.

Apply for the permit at the municipality. No more than 1 application per address.


  • use the green button below to go to the online permit application form
  • complete the application form
  • upload the attachments
  • opt to pay using iDEAL

Via email

  • The municipality will process your application only once you have transferred the application fee of € 53.65. You can transfer the application fee to:

    • IBAN number: NL17 BNGH 0285 1096 26
    • payable to: Gemeente Den Haag, Financiële administratie
    • include in the message line of the bank transfer: ‘FA417/HVV’ plus the address of the property you are going to rent
    • Are you paying from abroad? Include the BIC (SWIFT code) in your transfer: BNGHNL2G (Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten).

Affordable Housing Permit application (in English)

(PDF, 1.5 MB)

€ 53.65

If your application is complete, you will get a message within 2 weeks. Is your application incomplete? The municipality will contact you. The municipality will take a decision on your application within 8 weeks.

  • Did your family situation or income change during the period you are renting? You do not need to apply for a new affordable housing permit.
  • Are you renting a property without an affordable housing permit although it is required? You can get a fine of € 410 for this.
  • The municipality will not automatically register you when you apply for an affordable housing permit. You can register via the page Begin link: Moving and immigration, end link. .


How can we help?


More options

To contact page