Registration procedures for non-residents of the Netherlands

Are you coming to the Netherlands for less than 4 months? For example to work or to study? Then you can apply for a citizen service number (BSN). You get the BSN when you register as a non-resident of the Netherlands in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (RNI).

  • Are you staying in the Netherlands longer than 4 months? Then you need to register with the municipality where you are going to live. Will that be The Hague? Go to Settling in The Hague from abroad. You will also receive a BSN when you register.
  • Do you have the special residency status of a privileged person? Then it does not make a difference whether you live in the Netherlands for shorter or longer than 4 months. In both cases you may make an appointment to get a BSN.

Where to register

You can register at 19 RNI municipalities in the Netherlands. The Municipality of The Hague is 1 of these selected municipalities. If you would like to know which other municipalities are participating in this programme, visit the website of the Dutch government.


You can register in the RNI in The Hague by making an appointment at the Centrum district office.

What you need at the appointment

  • A valid form of identification (passport or identity card). Without a valid form of identification, you will not be registered.
  • Do you have children aged 16 years or younger? They will also have to come with you to the appointment in order to be registered.
  • Bring an original birth certificate for these children. Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.

Make an appointment


  • You can make an appointment online using the green button below.
  • Make a separate appointment for each person.
  • Provide the correct address of residence when making the appointment.

    Make an appointment

    By telephone

    You can also call the Municipality of The Hague on tel. 14 070 (telephone number from abroad: +31 70 353 30 00) to make an appointment.

    • Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.
    • Everybody who would like a BSN must come to the appointment.

    Appointment times

    The times you can make an appointment are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.30 to 16.15 hrs.

    Due to high demand, it can take some time before you get an appointment. If you are unable to get an appointment quickly enough, you can also visit 1 of the other participating municipalities. View the list on


    This service is provided free of charge.

    How long does it take?

    You will be registered immediately in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (RNI) and you will get your citizen service number (BSN) right away during the appointment.

    Are your details no longer correct in the RNI?

    Would you like to change your address abroad or correct your personal details? Then you can submit a correction request.

    • Use the Request correction/supplementation of details in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (BRP) form.
    Request correction/supplementation of details in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (BRP) (in Dutch) (PDF, 38,2 kB)
    • Send the completed form with all of the attachments by post to:

    Gemeente Den Haag
    Dienst Publiekszaken
    Unit Registratie (RNI)
    Postbus 12600
    2500 DL Den Haag

    More information