Registration procedures for international students

International students who will stay in The Hague for longer than 4 months are required to be registered in the municipality’s Personal Records Database (BRP). They will then get a citizen service number (BSN).

Students from all universities (wo) and universities of applied sciences (hbo) can make an appointment if they will be living in The Hague. Make an appointment to register if you do not yet have a BSN:

Do you already have a BSN? Then you can Begin link: register again in the BRP, end link. .

Are you staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months? Then you can request a BSN by Begin link: registering as a non-resident of the Netherlands (RNI), end link. .


The students will receive a Begin link: citizen service number (BSN), end link. during the registration appointment. This number is required to open a bank account or take out a health insurance policy.

Moving and deregistration

Will you be moving to another address in The Hague after you registered? Begin link: Report your move, end link. .

Will you be moving to another municipality or abroad? Begin link: Deregister from the municipality, end link. .


Do you have any questions about living, studying or working in The Hague for international students? Contact Begin external link: The Hague International Centre (THIC)(External link), end external link..


How can we help?


More options

To contact page