BSN and registration as a non-resident of the Netherlands (RNI)

Do you live outside the Netherlands? Or are you staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months? For example, because you will do seasonal work or a short study or internship? And you do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN)? Then you can apply for a BSN. You need this number to arrange your government affairs.

Make an appointment at 1 of the Begin external link: 19 participating RNI municipalities in the Netherlands(External link), end external link.. The Hague is 1 of these RNI municipalities. You will then get a citizen service number (BSN). Your information will be recorded in the Non-residents Records Database (Registratie Niet-ingezetenen, RNI).

Are you staying in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months? Then you need to register with the municipality where you are going to live. Will that be in The Hague? Go to Begin link: Registration when coming from abroad, end link. . Are you a privileged person? Then go to Begin link: BRP registration for privileged persons, end link. .

Would you like to register underage children (younger than 16 years) in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI)? Then also take the following documents with you:

By telephone

You can call the municipality on tel. 14070 to make an appointment. From abroad you can call tel. +31 70 353 30 00.

Appointment times

You can make an appointment on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8.30 to 16.15 hrs.

Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time to help you.


You will be registered immediately in the RNI during the appointment. You will get your citizen service number (BSN) right away.


How can we help?


More options

To contact page