1st BRP registration for Dutch citizens coming from abroad (you do not have a BSN)

Are you a Dutch citizen and are you coming from abroad to live in The Hague for 4 months or longer? And have you never previously lived in the Netherlands? Then you need to register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is required by law.

Have you been registered in the Netherlands before? Or do you already have a citizen service number (BSN)? Go to Begin link: Registering again in the BRP, end link. .

  • Dutch citizens who are moving to The Hague from abroad and who have not previously lived in the Netherlands.

  • Dutch citizens who are moving to The Hague from Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten or the municipalities Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius and who have not previously lived in the Netherlands.
  • Dutch citizens who left the Netherlands before October 1994.

  • You have Dutch citizenship (nationality).
  • You will be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer.
  • You have not previously been registered in the Netherlands.
  • You do not yet have a Begin link: citizen service number, end link. (BSN).

Do you want to backdate your registration? This can be done on the date you have scheduled the appointment. Even if the appointment is later.

You have then

  • made an appointment for a 1st registration or renewal of registration
  • made the appointment after you came to live in the Netherlands
  • a copy of the appointment confirmation with you (you will receive this by e-mail. You can print this or show it on your telephone, tablet or laptop. Please note! The date of your scheduled appointment must be clearly visible)

  • A Begin link: valid form of identification, end link. (this may not be a driving licence).
  • A Begin link: proof of occupancy, end link. .
  • A proof of deregistration if you are coming from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius. You will get this document when you report your departure to the Civil Registry office (Dienst Burgerlijke Stand en Bevolkingsadministratie).
  • All family members who would like to register need to attend the appointment. This includes babies, young children and older family members.

If you were born, married or divorced abroad, also take the following documents to the appointment:

  • Your birth certificate.
  • If applicable: the birth certificates of your partner and/or your children.
  • If applicable: your marriage certificate or certificate of civil partnership.
  • If applicable: divorce papers.
  • If applicable: adoption papers and/or a death certificate for your partner or child(ren).

These documents are not required for registration. Nevertheless take them with you to your appointment. The municipality will review these documents. If they are in order, the information will be registered in the BRP.

Sometimes your certificate or document needs to be legalised and/or translated. You can look up country specific information on the Begin external link: website of the Dutch government(External link), end external link.. Choose the country which issued your document. 

Do you have a Begin link: ‘privileged’ status, end link. in the Netherlands? Then you can make an appointment at Begin external link: The Hague International Centre(External link), end external link..


By telephone

Would you like an appointment for yourself and your family? Make an appointment by phoning tel. 14070. From abroad you can make an appointment by calling tel. +31 70 353 30 00.

Bring your documents to the Department of Public Service counter at the Segbroek district office.

Come on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time to help you.


Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN) by post.


How can we help?


More options

To contact page