Registration procedures for asylum seekers

Are you coming from abroad, are you an asylum seeker and will you be staying in The Hague for more than 4 months? Then you need to register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).

If this situation does not apply to you, have a look at Settling in The Hague from abroad.

Are you coming from abroad and have you been registered in the Netherlands before? Or if you already have a Citizen Service Number (BSN) or the old Sofi number, go to Begin link: Resettling in The Hague from abroad, end link. .

  • your valid foreign nationals identity document or residence permit
  • the report from the IND on the initial and follow-up interview
  • a relocation certificate from the Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA), only for people with a foreign nationals identity document
  • a Begin link: valid form of identification, end link. (if you have it). A driving licence will not be accepted
  • a Begin link: proof of occupancy, end link.
  • a custody order for unaccompanied minor asylum seekers (under 18 years)
  • all family members who wish to register

If you are in possession of the following relevant documents, please take them with you to the appointment:

  • a recently-issued original birth certificate
  • if you are married, a recently-issued original marriage certificate

These documents will be reviewed during your appointment. They are not required for registration. Both documents can also be presented at a later date. Make an appointment to do this (go to the appointment button below).

Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.

  • Make an online appointment.
  • Indicate how many people will be at the appointment.
  • All of the people need to appear at the appointment in person.


This service is provided free of charge.

After the first appointment, in most cases a follow-up appointment will be made with you. It takes a maximum of 4 weeks after the follow-up appointment before you are registered in the BRP.

Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the Begin external link: website of the Government of the Netherlands(External link), end external link..

Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Begin link: Translating foreign documents, end link. .


How can we help?


More options

To contact page