Municipal taxes: contesting your assessment

Do you disagree with a municipal tax or with the property value (WOZ-waarde)? You can contest the assessment.

What is it?

Did you get a tax assessment from the municipality? And do you disagree with it or are you unable to pay it? Then you can do several things:

Apply for a tax waiver

Do you have a low income and no assets? Then you may be able to get a tax waiver.

Apply for a payment scheme

Are you unable to pay the entire amount at 1 time? Apply for a payment scheme.

Apply for a refund

If you apply for a refund, you will be liable to pay less tax. This is possible:

  • everybody in your household has moved or the sole resident has died (for the waste tax or sufferance tax)
  • you have moved or your dog has died (for the dog tax)

Apply for the tax refund.

File an objection

You file an objection when you think that the municipality has made a mistake or when you disagree with the assessment.

File an objection

Would you like to file an objection? Submit your objection within 6 weeks after the date on the municipal tax assessment. You can file an objection online or in writing.

Contest municipal tax bill online

You received a municipal tax bill. And you want to contest the:

If the tax assessment is in your name, you can file your objection in MijnDenHaag. You must log in with your DigiD.

File an objection in MijnDenHaag

File an objection

No DigiD? Apply for your DigiD

Contest other taxes online

    File an objection in writing

    You do not have DigiD? Then you can also contest your taxes in writing.

    Your objection letter should state:

      • your name and address
      • the date
      • the payment reference number on the assessment
      • the tax year
      • the tax you are contesting
      • the reason for your objection

      Sign your objection letter and send it to the Municipal Tax Department. Do not forget to enclose an authorisation if you are filing an objection on behalf of somebody else.

      How long does it take?

      You will receive a confirmation of receipt from the Municipal Tax Department within 2 weeks. The Municipal Tax Department will deal with your objection as quickly as possible, but in any case within the year in which you submitted it.

      Suspension of payment

      If you file an objection, you will get a suspension of payment. The suspension is only for (the part of) the assessment you are contesting. You still have to pay the part of the assessment you are not contesting. Otherwise you could get a warning.


      Contact the Municipal Tax Department

      Also see