Prevent a rat infestation
A rat infestation is caused primarily by people tossing rubbish or food on streets or in gardens. Help prevent this problem.
The municipality is working together with housing associations, involved residents and the Haagse Milieu Services (HMS) to combat a rat problem. You can also do a lot to prevent a rat infestation.
- Do not throw away any waste or food scraps on the street.
- Do not place garbage bags or loose waste next to rubbish containers.
- Place garbage bags at the curb the day your household waste is collected. Put your rubbish out preferably just before it will be collected. Seal the bags well.
Do not feed birds
Do not feed bread or leftover food to birds. Too much food can be bad for their health. Extra food is often left uneaten and this attracts rats.
Report rat nuisance
You can report rat nuisance to the municipality if you have seen 1 or more rats outdoors. This could be on the street, in a park or in the garden/courtyard of your housing association. You can report it to the municipality using the page . Or call the municipality on tel. .
After it receives your complaint, the municipality will investigate the situation. It will look at which measures are needed in your neighbourhood to address the rat problem. These measures can range from changing the plants to cleaning the area. If it appears that these measures are not enough, the municipality will start up a pest control procedure.
Pubic information campaign
The municipality will continue its public information campaign on the consequences of bread and food scraps outdoors. There are different options:
- For adults there are in partnership with Stichting Aarde-Werk. Are you interested in these bread lessons? Go to or send an email to .
- have been developed for primary and secondary schools. Are you interested in these teaching packages? Send an email to .
- The play ‘Broodkapje’ was created for children. It teaches them why bread does not belong on the street and what they can do about it themselves.