How to put out your household waste
How you dispose of your household waste depends on which neighbourhood you are living in. You can place it in a garbage bag, rubbish bin or underground or aboveground rubbish container. Do you live in an apartment complex? Ask the manager if there are waste facilities in your building.
Not household waste
The following items may not be disposed of as regular household waste:
- sharp objects or glass in garbage bags (people passing by and garbage collectors could cut themselves)
- loose plastic bags
- boxes with rubbish or other loose garbage
Home collection of household waste
Do you live in a neighbourhood where you put out your household waste each week in a separate garbage bag or wheelie bin? Then the following rules apply:
- Make sure to put out your garbage bag or rubbish bin (mini container) at the latest by 7.45 hrs. on the collection day. You may put out your household waste as of 22.00 hrs. the evening before the collection day. However, it is preferable that you put it out on the day itself. This way you help to combat filth and nuisance from animals. You can find the correct collection day in the .
- Always use the you got from the municipality or sturdy garbage bags with a KOMO hallmark. These are stronger than other garbage bags and do not tear as easily. This way you prevent street litter.
- Make sure the garbage bags are tightly sealed so that birds and other animals cannot get into them. And do not make the bag heavier than 8 kilograms.
- Place the household waste as close as possible to the street or at the areas designated for household waste.
Do you live in a neighbourhood where household waste is collected in rubbish bins/mini containers? Then you are not allowed to put out loose garbage bags.
The HMS (Haagse Milieu Services) will then collect your household rubbish the following weekday. You are obliged to bring the household rubbish indoors in the evening. You may put it outside again before 7.45 hrs. on the day your household rubbish will be collected. Did you forget to bring your household rubbish inside? Then you could get a fine.
Bring your household rubbish to a container
Do you live in a neighbourhood where you need to dispose of your household waste yourself? For example, in underground or aboveground containers or a collection spot in your building? The following is important:
- Always place your garbage bags in the containers and never next to them. Not even when the .
- Instead of large garbage bags, use smaller ones. These fit in the container better and prevent the container from becoming blocked.
- Please show consideration for area resident. Use the container only between 7.00 and 22.00 hrs.
Properly separated rubbish can be used to make new products. By separating your rubbish, you are helping to reduce the use of raw materials and save energy. Separate the following kinds of rubbish from your regular household rubbish:
Charity shop and Repair Café
Some items are still perfectly good and it would be a shame to throw them away. Bring these items to a recycled goods shop (kringloopwinkel). For example, functioning televisions, clothing or furniture. Look for a charity shop in your neighbourhood on . Or get the items repaired, for example at a Repair Café ().
You can also dispose of your grease and oil at a or . You may also dispose of it in a sealed container in your garbage bag or rubbish bin. For example in a plastic bottle or the original frying oil packaging.