Apply for a permit for a big event

If you are planning to organise a big event which will have a major impact on the public space, such as a festival, then you need a permit for a big event.

There is currently a ban on events due to the coronavirus. More information can be found on the website of the Dutch government.

How it works

The rules are as follows:

  • for 1-day events with fewer than 250 visitors and little or no impact on the surroundings, it is often enough to report an event

If you are organising a market or street fair with the intention of selling goods or merchandise, you need to apply for a private market permit.


  • There will be 25,000 or more visitors on 1 day.

  • Safety is of paramount importance.

  • In the year preceding the event, you need to submit a request to the municipality to place your event on the ‘overview of big events’. This should be done before 1 September. Even if your event appears on the list, this does not mean that you will automatically receive a permit.
  • The permit is subject to a positive assessment of the measures you will take to ensure the event transpires safely. Also essential is that you must be able to guarantee proper traffic flows.

    • For events held on Sundays before 13.00 hrs., you need to apply for an exemption to the Sunday Act. You can indicate this in the application for an event permit. For more information, please see the Zondagswet on
    • It is not permitted to serve strong alcoholic drinks. You must apply for a temporary exemption to the ban on serving alcohol. You can specify the drinks that you intend to serve in the application. You will automatically be informed of any additional conditions to serving alcoholic drinks.

    • A big event must be made known to the mayor at least 22 weeks prior to the event.

    • Does the event require that parking places be made available or kept free? See which signs are needed for this.

    Signs for parking at events (PDF, 58,5 kB)

      Needed to apply

      • details of the event

      • details of the applicant

      • map of the event area
        If you submit the report online, you will receive a link to a special programme which you can use to draw a map of the event.

      • safety plan, see the Safety plan guidelines below

      • letter to residents

      • programme

      • in the case of structures: specific construction details, see below.

          Example of map of event area (in Dutch) (PDF, 759,3 kB)
          Safety plan guidelines (in Dutch) (PDF, 47,9 kB)
          Supplementary information on structures (in Dutch) (PDF, 14,7 kB)


          You can apply for the permit online:

          Apply for the permit


          € 991.40.

          Exemption for retractable traffic barriers

          Are you holding your event in an area with retractable bollards? Then apply for an exemption for retractable traffic barriers in advance.

          Balloons, fireworks and helicopters

          Read the regulations about balloons, fireworks and helicopter landings during an event (in Dutch).


          You can apply for a subsidy for big events. See Applying for a financial contribution for large public events (in Dutch).
          Also read the information about Investing in public events in The Hague (in Dutch).


          Are you being disturbed by an event? Then see Report noise nuisance.

          Event directory

          Is this not what you were looking for? Fill in the Event directory (in Dutch) and see what you need straightaway.

          Central Events Bureau

          Would you like to organise a big event in The Hague? The municipality's Central Events Bureau (in Dutch) can help you with all of your practical matters.