Request a declaration of no impediment

Would you like to get married in another country? Then you will sometimes need a declaration of no impediment. This document states that you are currently not married and that you and your partner are permitted to get married under Dutch law.


  • You or your partner has Dutch citizenship (nationality).
  • You or your partner is registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of the Municipality of The Hague.
  • Do you no longer live in the Netherlands? Then request the declaration from the Dutch municipality where you last lived before you moved abroad.
  • Have you never been registered in the Netherlands? Then request the declaration at the Netherlands embassy or consulate in the country where you want to get married.
  • Minors need permission from their parents (or legal guardians) and in some cases also from the government (Minister of Justice).
  • Have you been placed under guardianship? Then you will first need permission from the curator.
  • Foreign documents which are not in Dutch, French, German or English have to be translated into Dutch by a sworn translator in the Netherlands.
  • Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of

Needed for the application

For the application you will need a valid form of identification for you and your partner. In addition, the municipality can sometimes ask you to submit other documents:

Document When is it needed? Explanation
A recent copy of your birth certificate as well as the birth certificate for your partner If you or your partner was born abroad and this foreign birth certificate is not yet registered in the BRP You request the birth certificate in your country of birth
Declaration of place of residence/nationality/marital status If you or your partner lives abroad You request the declaration in your current place of residence
A divorce certificate or certificate of termination of registered partnership or a death certificate If you were previously married/in a registered partnership and the certificate is not yet registered in the BRP You request the declaration in the municipality where you got married/entered into a registered partnership. You can request the death certificate in the municipality where your partner died
Let op!

Except for the valid forms of identification, you need to send in the original version of all the documents.


You can apply for the declaration of no impediment (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) in different ways:

In person

Make an appointment at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. 

Make an appointment

In writing

Send a signed letter to the Department of Public Service. State in this letter that you would like a declaration of no impediment.


€ 27.50 (rate in 2023) excluding postage costs.

How long does it take?

  • For a request in person: You will get the declaration immediately if you have all of the original required documents with you.
  • For a request in writing: you will be notified within approximately 3 working days if the documents you sent are in order. If your application is complete, you will receive the declaration together with your original documents by registered mail after approximately 3 days.

Good to know

Do you need to have the document translated? You can have documents from abroad translated into Dutch by a sworn translator. For documents which are needed within the European Union you can request a multilingual standard form along with the document from the Netherlands.

The declaration of no impediment is valid for 6 months, starting from the date of issue. This is the date the declaration was given (Artikel 49 a, lid 4 BW1).