Apply for the Ooievaarspas (reduction card)

Do you have a low income? Apply for the Ooievaarspas. The Ooievaarspas gives you and your family a discount on all kinds of fun activities like sports, excursions, memberships and courses.


Do you receive welfare benefits? Then you will automatically get a letter which explains how you (and your family) can get the Ooievaarspas.

If you do not receive welfare benefits, you can apply for an Ooievaarspas yourself.

  • You live in The Hague, Leidschendam-Voorburg or Rijswijk.
  • Your income is not higher than 130% of the benefit norm (bijstandsnorm). Your tax credits will also be taken into account.
  • Your capital falls below the income and assets limit (vermogensgrens).
  • There is an extra condition for HBO and university (WO) students: they should have no right to a student loan and/or supplementary grant from the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO).
  • You can apply for an Ooievaarspas for all of your acknowledged children under the age of 18 years. Even if they do not live with you. Fill in your children's information on the application form. Children aged 18 years or older have to fill in an application form themselves.
  • Are you a business owner? Your business assets will not be taken into account when your application for an Ooievaarspas is assessed.

Needed for the application

  • Copy of a valid passport, Dutch identity card or residence permit (not a driving licence)
  • Information about income, assets and debts for you and other family members. For example a:

    • benefits specification: overview stating how much you receive in benefits
    • salary statement
    • specification from Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO): an overview stating how much you receive from DUO
    • overview of alimony payments or other sources of income



      The Ooievaarspas is free.

      How long does it take?

      Within 8 weeks of submitting your application you will receive a letter informing you whether you will get an Ooievaarspas or if the pass has been extended.

      If you have the right to an Ooievaarspas, you will receive a passport photo form within 4 weeks. Send back this form together with a copy of your valid proof of identity (for people aged 14 years and older) and a recent passport photo.

      Good to know

      • You will receive a notification before 1 November on whether your Ooievaarspas will be extended for the following year. Have you not received any notification before 1 November? And would you like to extend the Ooievaarspas? Submit a (new) application.
      • Have you lost your Ooievaarspas? Or would you like to change the information on your pass, for example your name or your passport photo? Apply for a new pass. Your old pass will then be blocked. The pass will use the name as it is registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). For that reason you should first have your personal data changed in the BRP.

        Apply for a new Ooievaarspas

      • Look at all the reductions and activities at Would you like to be kept informed of the newest offers? Sign up for the newsletter (in Dutch).
      • See whether you can also make use of other Ooievaars measures for low-income households.
      • Have you reached retirement age (AOW)? And do you have the right to an Ooievaarspas? Then you are entitled to free travel on public transportation (HTM) within The Hague.
      • Children can take part in 1 sports activity and 1 cultural activity per year for free through Kinderen Doen Mee.


      Do you have questions about the Ooievaarspas? Contact the SZW Advice & Information desk.