Registration at the municipality for Ukrainians

Are you a refugee from Ukraine? You have to register in the municipality where you are living (in a long-term shelter location or in a private home). In The Hague you will register during an appointment at the Segbroek district office, address: Fahrenheitstraat 190 in Den Haag.

Appointment for picking up proof of residence at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)

Do you fall under the EU Temporary Protection Directive and are you registered at the municipality? Then you must get Begin external link: proof of residence an an IND pickup location(External link), end external link..

You can usually register only once you have moved from the initial shelter location to the shelter location where you will stay for a longer time, because you will then have a residential address. If you are living with a private host family or you have your own living space or place to sleep, you can register immediately.

After you register, your information will be added to the Personal Records Database (BRP). And you will get your citizen service number (BSN). You will need this number to arrange all of your government affairs. Make an appointment to register.

After you register you can apply for proof of residence in the Netherlands at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND):

The municipality can register the following refugees from Ukraine who fall under the EU Temporary Protection Directive:

  • People with Ukrainian citizenship (nationality) who
    • are able to prove their identity and citizenship
    • left Ukraine after 26 November 2021
    • traveled from Ukraine to the Netherlands before 27 November 2021
  • People with another citizenship (nationality) (not Ukrainian) who prior to 24 February 2022
    • are able to prove their identity and citizenship
    • had international or national protection in Ukraine because they are not safe in their country of origin
    • had a valid permanent Ukrainian residence permit and did not return to their country of origin
  • Family members of the persons named in 1 and 2:
    • spouse or non-married partner with whom they form a long-term relationship
    • underage unmarried children (born or adopted within or outside the marriage)
    • other close family members who lived together with the family and who are fully or nearly fully dependent

    • An identity document (passport or other proof of identity).
    • A declaration from your host family. This is called Begin link: Handreiking Particuliere Opvang Oekraïners (POO) – Versie 3, end link. (
    • The address of your host family, your own home or the address of your long-term municipal shelter location.
    • All family members who would like to register must attend the appointment. This includes babies, young children and seniors.
    • If you have these: official proof (certificates) of birth, marriage, divorce or adoption.

    • Make an appointment by phoning tel. (070) 353 80 24 (+31 70 353 80 24 from abroad). You can reach this number Monday to Friday from 9.00 to 17.00 hrs.
    • Indicate how many people will come to the appointment. Include all family members. Otherwise there might not be enough time register everybody.

    Come on time. If you arrive too late, the municipality might not be able to help you.


    The appointment takes about 30 minutes.

    Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP immediately. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN).

  • The citizen service number (BSN) is your unique personal number for contact with the government. You need this number if you want to work, open a bank account or arrange your affairs online with the government.
  • After you register you can apply for proof of residence in the Netherlands at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). Make an appointment to do this via:
  • You need this proof of residence as of 31 October 2022 to be able to work.
  • After you register you can apply for a personal Dutch bank account. Read more on the page Begin link: Living allowance for Ukrainian refugees, end link. .
  • After you register you can Begin external link: apply for DigiD(External link), end external link.. You can arrange your affairs with the government online using your DigiD.
  • Will you be moving to another municipality after you registered? Report your move to the new municipality.
  • Contact

    How can we help?


    More options

    To contact page