Dog tax

Do you have a dog? Then you must pay dog tax. The tax is higher if you have more dogs. It makes no difference if the dog is big or small. You also pay tax even if your dog never goes outside.

If you get a dog, you have to register it within 6 weeks. You can still register the dog after 6 weeks, but you will then get a fine.

  • Register for the dog tax online. You can register more than 1 dog at the same time. Would you like to register more than 1 dog, but starting on different dates? Register each dog separately.
  • If you do not have DigiD, you can also register for the dog tax in writing with the director of municipal taxes. State in your letter: your name, address, date of birth and the date you got your dog(s).

The dog’s keeper has to pay. If there are more people living together in a household, 1 person will be designated as the dog’s ‘keeper’. This person must ensure that the dog tax is paid.

The municipality will check to see whether you have a dog. Inspectors carry out door-to-door checks in the city to see if there are any unregistered dogs living there. If this is the case, you will still have to register for the dog tax.


Dog Amount per year in 2023
1 dog € 137.28
2 dogs € 352.32
3 dogs € 625.08

Do you have more than 3 dogs? Then you pay € 272.76 (rate in 2023) for each additional dog.

Kennel rate: you pay a kennel rate of € 407.64 in 2023.

The dog tax must be paid in full in 1 instalment within a 2-month payment deadline. You can choose to pay by direct debit with payments spread out over the year. Read paying municipal taxes for more information about the payment options.

Are you unable to pay the dog tax within the stipulated period? Then you can request a payment scheme. You are not eligible for a payment scheme if you own your own company or if you are self-employed.

Are you unable to pay the dog tax? Then you may be eligible for a tax waiver. This only applies to the amount for the 1st dog.

Do you no longer have a dog? Or are you moving to another municipality? Ask for a reimbursement of the dog tax which you have overpaid. This is called ontheffing (tax refund). If you do not agree with the assessment for the dog tax, you can make an objection. If you think you were wrongly given a fine, then you can contest the fine.

In writing

You do not have DigiD? Then you can also file an objection in writing. Sign the letter of objection and send it within 6 weeks of the date on the assessment notice to the Municipal Tax Department. The letter should include the following information:

  • your name and address
  • the date
  • the reference number of the assessment
  • the tax year
  • which tax you are contesting
  • the reason for your objection
  • your signature

Do not forget to send an authorisation (machtiging) if you are filing an objection on behalf of someone else.

Read more about the refund and contesting the dog tax.

Do you have a guide (seeing-eye) or service dog for people with a disability? Then you can apply for an exemption from the dog tax. Did you still get a tax bill? Then you can contest it. Read more about the refund and contesting the dog tax.

Take a look at the dog tax directive(External link) (in Dutch).


How can we help?