Renting out short stay accommodation

Are you a landlord and do you want to rent out (part of) a building? For example, to business visitors, expats or students who will spend a short time in The Hague? If so, you must adhere to a number of rules.

What is it?

A short stay rental means that you rent out (part of) a building commercially to people who would like to stay in The Hague for a short time. The tenant does not stay longer than 4 months. This is referred to as a 'short stay'. The landlord does not live in the accommodation himself. In The Hague short stays are permitted only in buildings which have a designated use as lodgings (in Dutch).


Offering short stay accommodation in residential properties is not permitted. This means that the property may not be rented to tourists or to people who will officially register at the address in the municipality's Personal Records Database (BRP). Neither form of short stay is permitted in The Hague because the residential property will not be used (or only partially used) as housing. This is referred to as housing withdrawal. A housing withdrawal permit is required for to withdraw a residential property from the housing supply. This permit is usually not granted because housing is scarce in The Hague. In addition, an all-in-one building permit is often required in connection with the structural requirements if a residential property is used as lodgings. And possibly for the contrary use of lodgings in buildings with a different zoning purpose (designated use).

Before you offer a building for short stay accommodation, the municipality advises you to check the following:

  • Check the designated use of the building. For more information, visit the national website for spatial planning.
  • Check whether your desired use of the building is compatible with the zoning. In the case of mixed designated use, remember that the zoning plan may not always permit all the uses of the building. Bear in mind the fire safety requirements and the housing withdrawal permit.
  • If the last known use of the building was for residential purposes, it can only be used as a residential property. You can view the last known use of the building online on the addresses and buildings database (BAG) viewer of the land registry.
  • If the building does not have a designated lodging or residential use, you may apply for an exemption from the zoning plan.
  • You must pay tourist tax.
  • The municipality is actively tracking down and enforcing housing withdrawal. If you do not comply with the rules, you could get fined.

Zoning plan

Would you like to know whether your rental plans are in line with the building's designated use? Send an email to

Also see: Rules for holiday rentals

Published: 23 July 2021Modified: 3 January 2022