BSN and registration as a non-resident of the Netherlands (RNI)

Do you live outside the Netherlands? Or are you moving to the Netherlands for no more than 4 months? For example, to do seasonal work or a short study or internship? And you do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN)? Then you can apply for a BSN. You need this number to arrange your government affairs.

How does it work?

Make an appointment at 1 of the 19 participating RNI municipalities in the Netherlands. The Hague is 1 of these RNI municipalities. You will then get a citizen service number (BSN). Your information will be recorded in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI).

Belangrijke informatie:


  • You do not live in the Netherlands or you will be staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months.
  • You do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN) or Sofi number.
  • You may request a citizen service number (BSN) only for yourself.

Needed at the appointment

Would you like to register underage children (under the age of 16) in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI)? Then also take the following documents with you:

  • A valid form of identification for the child (the child who is attending the registration appointment).
  • A valid form of identification for you (the parent who is attending the registration appointment).
  • An original birth certificate and (if this applies to you) the acknowledgement certificate for these children showing that you are the parent.
  • Sometimes your certificate or document needs to be legalised (made official) and/or translated. You can look up country specific information on the website of the Dutch government. Choose the country which issued your document. 

Make an appointment

By telephone

You can call the municipality on tel. 14070 to make an appointment.
From abroad you can call tel. +31 70 353 30 00.

Appointment times

You can make an appointment on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8.30 to 16.15 hrs.

Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time to help you.



How long does it take?

You will be registered immediately in the RNI during the appointment. You will get your citizen service number (BSN) right away.

Good to know

Also see Change address or personal details in Non-residents Records Database (RNI)