Exchange a driving licence from EU/EEA or Switzerland

Are you coming to live in the Netherlands and do you have a driving licence from the EU/EEA or Switzerland? Read how you can exchange it for a Dutch driving licence.

Belangrijke informatie: You can find more information on the validity of a British driving licence on the website of the Dutch government (in Dutch).

How do you exchange your driving licence?

  • Go in person to the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office to exchange your driving licence.
  • A municipal employee will take your foreign driving licence. You will get a copy and a receipt.
  • The municipal employee will forward your application and foreign driving licence to the RDW (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer).
  • Is everything in order? The RDW will send you a letter within 10 working days. It will tell you when you can collect your Dutch driving licence at the municipality. Your Dutch driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years.
  • You pick up your driving licence in person at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office (depending on where you applied for it). You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will no longer be valid and the municipality will have to destroy it. Would you like a driving licence after all after this 3-month period? Then you will have to fill in a new application and pay for it again.
  • You will not get your exchanged driving licence back. The RDW will send the driving licence to the country which issued it.
Flowchart: Convert a valid foreign driving licence and how to fill in the medical statement (PDF, 1,7 MB)

Needed to exchange a driving licence

  • A passport photo.
    Strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the website of the Dutch government.
  • A valid form of identification.
  • The driving licence you want to exchange. You will not get it back.
  • Would you like to exchange a driving licence written in an alphabet which is not used in the Netherlands, for example Greek? Then you will need to bring a translation of the driving licence with you. The translation must be made by a sworn translator, the embassy or the consulate.
  • A Statement of Health, depending on your situation.
  • Are you a foreign student? Then you also need to provide proof of enrolment from your educational institute. 
  • Has your foreign driving licence been lost or stolen? Then you will need to submit a police report or a declaration of loss from the municipality. You will also need to submit an original certified declaration (not older than 6 months) from the authority which issued the driving licence. The declaration should state whether the driving licence is still valid and when it was issued.


You are registered in the Municipality of The Hague.

Look at all the conditions on the website of the RDW.

Citizenship requirements

To obtain a driving licence, you must meet 1 of the following conditions:


    Exchanging a driving licence costs € 44.65 (rate in 2023).

    These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

    Make an appointment

    Make an appointment to exchange your driving licence.

        Make an appointment (in Dutch)

        Belangrijke informatie:

        When you apply for a Dutch driving licence you must turn in your foreign driving licence. You will not be permitted to drive while you are waiting for your new driving licence.

        Also see: Exchange a driving licence from outside EU/EEA or Switzerland