Exchange a driving licence from outside EU/EEA or Switzerland
A driving licence issued outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland is valid for only a short period in the Netherlands. When you come to live in the Netherlands, you may still use your foreign driving licence for a maximum of 185 days. In some cases you can exchange your foreign driving licence for a Dutch driving licence. You need to apply at the municipality.
- A passport photo.
Strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the Begin external link: , end external link..
- Begin link: , end link. .
- The driving licence you want to exchange. You will not get it back.
- Would you like to exchange a driving licence not written in the Roman/Latin alphabet (like Japanese)? Then you will need to bring a translation of the driving licence with you. The translation must be issued by a sworn translator, the embassy or the consulate.
- Begin link: , end link. , in certain cases.
- Are you eligible for the 30% ruling for highly-skilled migrants (Begin external link: , end external link.)? Then bring a letter from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration in Heerlen.
- Go in person to the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office to exchange your driving licence.
- A municipal official will take your foreign driving licence. You will get a copy and a receipt.
- The municipal official will forward your application and foreign driving licence to the Dutch Road Transport Directorate (RDW).
- The RDW will review your application and send you a notification when you can collect the licence at the municipality. Your Dutch driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years.
- You pick up your driving licence in person at Begin link: , end link. (depending on where you applied for it). You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it. Do you still want a driving licence after this 3-month period? Then you have to fill in a new application and pay for it again.
- You will not get your old driving licence back. The RDW will send it to the authorities in the country which issued it.
Flowchart: Convert a valid foreign driving licence and how to fill in the medical statement(PDF, 1.7 MB)
In the following cases you can exchange your foreign driving licence in The Hague for a Dutch driving licence:
- You are registered in the Municipality of The Hague.
- You have a valid residence permit and a valid driving licence which meets the conditions.
- You have a valid driving licence from 1 of the following countries designated by the Dutch Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management:
- Andorra (category B)
- Taiwan (category B)
- Israel (category B)
- Japan (category A and B)
- Jersey (all categories)
- The Isle of Man (all categories)
- Monaco (all categories)
- Singapore (categories A and B)
- Republic of Korea (category B)
- Province of Alberta (category B)
- Province of Quebec (category B)
- You have a valid driving licence from a country which is not on the list and you gave up your Dutch driving licence for it at the time. Your Dutch driving licence was still valid after 30 June 1985.
- You have a valid driving licence from a country not included on the list and the Minister of Finance has granted you the 30% ruling for highly-skilled migrants (Begin external link: , end external link.).
- Are you unable to exchange your driving licence? Then you will first have to pass a theory and practical test. After that you can Begin link: , end link. .
Exchanging a driving licence costs € 51.10.
These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.
The Dutch Road Transport Directorate (RDW) will notify you when you can pick up your driving licence at the municipality. Your Dutch driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years.
To exchange your driving licence you must visit the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You can make an appointment to do this.
When you apply for a Dutch driving licence you must turn in your foreign driving licence. You can decide to continue driving during the exchange process. However, if you are stopped by the police you could get a fine for driving without a licence. Read more on the Begin external link: , end external link..