Exchange a driving licence from EU/EEA or Switzerland
Are you coming to live in the Netherlands and do you have a driving licence from the EU/EEA or Switzerland? Read how you can exchange it for a Dutch driving licence.
- Go in person to the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office to exchange your driving licence.
- A municipal official will take your foreign driving licence. You will get a copy and a receipt.
- The municipal official will forward your application and foreign driving licence to the Dutch Road Transport Directorate (RDW).
- The RDW will review your application and send you a nofication when you can collect the licence at the municipality. Your Dutch driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years.
- You pick up your driving licence in person at Begin link: , end link. (depending on where you applied for it). You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it. Do you still want a driving licence after this 3-month period? Then you have to fill in a new application and pay for it again.
- You will not get your old driving licence back. The RDW will send it to the authorities in the country which issued it.
Flowchart: Convert a valid foreign driving licence and how to fill in the medical statement(PDF, 1.7 MB)
- A passport photo.
Strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the Begin external link: , end external link..
- Begin link: , end link. .
- The driving licence you want to exchange. You will not get it back.
- Would you like to exchange a driving licence written in an alphabet which is not used in the Netherlands, for example Greek? Then you will need to bring a translation of the driving licence with you. The translation must be made by a sworn translator, the embassy or the consulate.
- A Begin link: , end link. , depending on your situation.
- Are you a foreign student? Then you also need to provide proof of enrolment from your educational institute.
- Has your foreign driving licence been lost or stolen? Then you will need to submit a police report or a declaration of loss from the municipality. You will also need to submit an original certified declaration (not older than 6 months) from the authority which issued the driving licence. The declaration should state whether the driving licence is still valid and when it was issued.
You are registered in the Municipality of The Hague.
Look at all the conditions on the Begin external link: , end external link..
To obtain a driving licence, you must meet 1 of the following conditions:
Exchanging a driving licence costs € 51.10.
These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.
The Dutch Road Transport Directorate (RDW) will notify you when you can pick up your driving licence at the municipality. Your Dutch driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years.
Make an appointment to exchange your driving licence.
When you apply for a Dutch driving licence you must turn in your foreign driving licence. You can decide to continue driving during the exchange process. However, if you are stopped by the police you could get a fine for driving without a licence. Read more on the Begin external link: , end external link..