Apply for a driving licence for the first time
A driving licence is proof that you are permitted to operate a motor vehicle or motorbike. It is also an identity document which you can use to identify yourself in many cases. A driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years.
- a passport photo: strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the Begin external link: , end external link..
- a Begin link: , end link.
- if you are a foreign student: proof of enrolment from your school or university
You are younger than 18 years
Are you going to start driving a car? Then you also need:
- a begeleiderspas (supervising driver’s pass). Apply for the pass on the Begin external link: , end external link.. You do not need to bring the pass with you to the municipality.
- You need to visit the Department of Public Service counter in person at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office to apply for your driving licence. Make an appointment for this online.
Are you unable to attend the appointment at the suggested time? New possibilities for appointment times could appear later during the day. For example, if people cancel. By refreshing the pages you will see if there are any new possibilities.
- Go to your appointment at the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You will pay the fees when you apply.
- You pick up your driving licence in person at Begin link: , end link. (depending on where you applied for it). You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it. Do you still want a driving licence after this 3-month period? Then you have to fill in a new application and pay for it again.
- application for a driving licence: € 51.10
- application for a driving licence (expedited): € 51.10 + € 39.65 = € 90.75
These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.
You can pick up the driving licence after 5 working days. The pick-up receipt will state the date as of when you can collect your driving licence.
Collect the driving licence within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it.
Would you like the municipality to process your application more quickly? You can request an expedited procedure (spoedaanvraag). You pay extra fees for this. An expedited procedure for a driving licence takes 1 to 2 working days. You can then collect the driving licence after 10.00 hrs. Read more about an Begin link: , end link.
Driving under the age of 18
As of the age of 17 you may take your practical exam for Category B (car driving licence). If you pass, you may apply for your driving licence. However, until you are 18 you are only allowed to drive under the supervision of a coach. For more information go to the Begin external link: , end external link..
Did you pass your practical exam? Then the Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing (CBR) will draw up:
- a certificate of driving proficiency (verklaring van rijvaardigheid)
- a certificate of fitness (verklaring van geschiktheid)
This usually takes 1 working day. After that you can apply for your driving licence.
Are you only applying for a Category AM (moped) licence? Then you do not need a certificate of fitness.
The Begin link: , end link. is a form containing questions about your health. You need the certificate if you are going to take a driving test. You can buy the certificate at the Begin external link: , end external link. or your driving school.