Register a death

When a person dies, you report their death to the municipality in which it occurred. The municipality registers the death of this person with the Registry Office and the Personal Records Database (BRP). If the deceased person was not a resident of The Hague, the information will be forwarded to the municipality where he or she was living.

The municipality will draw up 2 documents and will give these to you:

  • a document in which it gives permission for the funeral: either the ‘verlof tot begraven’ (‘authorisation for burial’) or the ‘verlof tot cremeren’ (‘authorisation for cremation’). Did the deceased indicate that he or she wanted to donate his body to science? Then you will get a document with the ‘verlof tot ontleding’ (authorisation for dissection').
  • a copy of the death certificate

    Who can report a death?

    Anybody who has learned of the death may report the death. Usually this is the next of kin or the undertaker.

    Next of kin can report the death by email. You send the report including the attachments to:

    Undertakers can report a death by logging in with eHerkenning. If you are an undertaker and you do not (yet) have eHerkenning you can also report the death by email to:

    Required to register a death

    • A-form, this is the doctor's statement on the cause of death
    • B-envelope with the doctor's statement on the cause of death
    • a valid form of identification (passport, identity card or driving licence)
    • if applicable, the marriage booklet
    • if the funeral or cremation needs to be postponed, a permit

    If the person died a natural death:

    • certificate of death by natural causes (by a forensic expert)

    If the person died an unnatural death:

    • certificate of death by unnatural causes (by a forensic expert)
    • statement of no objection to the funeral or cremation (by the Public Prosecutor)

    Extra documents are required if:

    • someone wants to be buried or cremated outside of the Netherlands: a casket declaration with a medical statement
    • someone wants to be buried or cremated within 36 hours or after 6 working days: a request with a statement of no objection from the GGD, within 36 hours together with a statement by the Public Prosecutor
    • someone wants to give his body to science: a testament
    • when the deceased is not registered in the Netherlands or the citizen service number (BSN) is not known: a valid form of identification for the deceased
    • the date of death is not known (discovery of the body): an official police report

    Notification by undertakers

    To report a death online the municipality needs the original doctor’s statement and any other original documents. You can send them by post. You pay the fees when you make the report online. You will receive the authorisation, the copy of the death certificate and any other documents by email the same (or the next) working day. You will receive the original documents by post.

    Step 1:

    Apply for eHerkenning. You need eHerkenning with assurance level 3 (EH3) or higher.

    Step 2:

    • You can use your user name and password for eHerkenning to report a death. Use the ‘Kennisgeving Overlijden’ (‘notification of death’) form.

      Report a death (for undertakers, in Dutch)

      • You may submit a maximum of 5 death notifications per form. You may of course complete and send multiple forms.
      • You will receive an email confirmation of your notification.
      • You send the original documents on a weekly basis to:

      Gemeente Den Haag
      Unit Beheer & Verstrekkingen
      Postbus 12620
      2500 DL Den Haag


              Rate in 2023
              Copy of the death certificate € 15.70
              Authorisation for burial or cremation free
              Authorisation to expedite or postpone funeral € 96.45
              Laissez-passer € 11.30

              Good to know

              • In exceptional cases the municipality will also draw up a death certificate, for example for a stillborn baby or for a child who died shortly after birth. Read more about this registration on the website of the Dutch government. You can register your child in the Personal Records Database (BRP).
              • Fill in the checklist on the website of the Dutch government (in Dutch). You will then get a list of the things you need to arrange.
              • Did somebody die abroad? You can find more information on the website of the Dutch government. The next of kin or undertaker has to have the foreign report of death registered. You do this in the municipality in the Netherlands where the deceased person was registered. In the Municipality of The Hague you can do this at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. Make an appointment to register foreign documents in the BRP.
              • Did a family member die abroad and was the deceased person registered in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI)? Then you can report the death to the National Office for Identity Data (RvIG). See the website of the Dutch government.
              • Would you like to have a deceased person transported abroad? Read more on the page Laissez-passer to transport a deceased person abroad.
              • You can make a safe copy of your identity document with your mobile telephone or tablet using the KopieID app. Read more on the website of the Dutch government.