Request sheltered housing or assisted living

Is it difficult or impossible for you to live on your own temporarily due to mental or psychosocial problems? If so, ask for assistance at the municipality. Perhaps you need sheltered housing or assisted living. You will then live in a facility where you will receive care and assistance. For a shorter or a longer period of time.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing (beschermd wonen) is housing with assistance. This form of housing is for people with psychological or psychosocial problems. Sheltered housing means that you usually live in a care facility (temporarily). There is assistance and supervision day and night. You pay a personal contribution for sheltered housing. The amount you pay depends upon:

  • your income
  • how much care or support you receive

You pay the personal contribution through the Begin external link: CAK(External link), end external link.. Look at the Begin external link: Personal contribution calculation tool(External link), end external link. on the website of the CAK.

Assisted living

Assisted living (begeleid wonen) is housing with assistance at a distance. With assisted living the living and care components are more separate from each other than with sheltered housing. You live in a care facility, but without day and night assistance.

You pay the rent for assisted living yourself. You can only get assisted living if you need assistance. If you no longer need assistance, you must move to a different form of housing.

Make a request to the municipality

Do you live in The Hague and you do not have help at home? First request Wmo support: Begin link: Apply for Wmo support, end link. . The municipality will then investigate which types of assistance you can get at home.

Are you homeless? For help and more information go to the page Begin link: Homeless counter: help for homeless people, end link. .

Would you like sheltered housing or assisted living? Request this at the municipality. It will examine whether sheltered housing or assisted living is necessary. In your request you can choose whether you want to use:

  • care in kind (zorg in natura): the municipality arranges the care
  • personal budget (persoonsgebonden budget, pgb): you arrange the help yourself

  • You or your supervisor must demonstrate that you have psychological or psychosocial problems. 
  • You live in The Hague or in a neighbouring municipality: Rijswijk, Zoetermeer, Leidschendam-Voorburg, Wassenaar. (Please note: Do you live in 1 of the neighbouring municipalities? Then first make a request in your own municipality before you apply in The Hague.) 
  • If you do not live in The Hague or a neighbouring municipality, then make the request using the form: ‘Verzoek toegang beschermd wonen’. 

Your request must be accompanied by:

  • the form to investigate sheltered housing and assisted living (formulier voor onderzoek beschermd en begeleid wonen). Complete this application form (together with your practitioner or supervisor) and send it as an attachment.  

Formulier voor onderzoek beschermd en begeleid wonen

(PDF, 216.2 KB)

Are you already staying in sheltered housing or assisted living through the Social Support Act (Wmo)? Then you do not need to fill in this form. 

  • Are you requesting sheltered housing or assisted living with a personal budget? Then include a completed personal budget support plan (pgb ondersteuningsplan). 

Pgb ondersteuningsplan

(PDF, 268.9 KB)


Apply below for sheltered housing or assisted living with care in kind (zorg in natura). Are you applying for somebody else? Then you need permission from the person for whom you are applying.

After you apply

After you apply, the municipality will invite you in for a consultation. You are allowed to bring somebody with you, such as your supervisor, partner or a friend. During the consultation, the municipality will ask you about your personal situation.

After the consultation, you will receive the advisory report. It will state whether it makes sense for you to apply for sheltered housing or assisted living. You can submit a request by signing the advisory report and sending it back.

Sometimes more time is needed for an investigation. The staff member from the municipality will inform you about this.

You do not live in The Hague or in a neighbouring municipality

You do not live in The Hague and also not in a neighbouring municipality (Rijswijk, Zoetermeer, Leidschendam-Voorburg, Wassenaar)? But you want sheltered housing in The Hague? Fill in the form ‘Verzoek toegang beschermd wonen’. Send it by email to Begin link:, end link. .

Verzoek toegang beschermd wonen

(PDF, 137.8 KB)

You will get the advisory report from the municipality within 6 weeks after you submit the request.

  • Keep the following in mind when you live in sheltered housing or assisted living:
    • Sometimes you share the bathroom or kitchen with other residents.
    • Sometimes there is a suitable spot for you in a neighbouring municipality (Rijswijk, Zoetermeer, Leidschendam-Voorburg, Wassenaar). You will then be placed there.
    • Sometimes assistance at a distance (ambulante ondersteuning) is enough, or there are other organisations which can help you. Sheltered housing or assisted living in then not necessary.
    • Sheltered housing or assisted living in always temporary.
    • Sheltered housing or assisted living is not intended for people who are unable to find housing.
  • Will your Wmo indication (decision on the type of care you need) soon expire? And do you or your care provider think that your indication should be extended? If so, you or your care provider can submit a new request. Submit the request at least 8 weeks before your indication ends.
  • Please note: Do you have an indication through the Long-Term Care Act (Wet langdurige zorg, Wlz)? Then you are not eligible for sheltered housing under the Social Support Act (Wmo). For more information, visit the website of Begin external link: CZ Zorgkantoor(External link), end external link..
  • There are waiting lists for sheltered housing and assisted living. You will not get assistance right away. The amount of time you have to wait depends on:
    • the type of help or support you need
    • which care providers have a suitable spot
  • Are you going to live in Begin link: your own spot again after sheltered housing or assisted living, end link. ? Read what you have to do.
  • Contact

    How can we help?


    More options

    To contact page