Work for refugees from Ukraine

Do you want to work in the Netherlands? Or do you want to hire a Ukrainian refugee? Read what you need to do. And which rules apply.

If you want to work in the Netherlands, you must first register at the municipality where you are (temporarily) living. In The Hague you register by making an appointment in City Hall (Spui 70, The Hague). Read more on the page Registration at the municipality for Ukrainians.

After you register, your information will be added to the Personal Records Database (BRP). And you will get your citizen service number (BSN). You will need this number to be able to work. From 1 April 2022 you no longer need a work permit.

також див: Робота для біженців з Україн

Information for refugees

Refugees from Ukraine are allowed to work in paid employment. This applies to refugees who are lawfully staying in the Netherlands under the EU Temporary Protection Directive(External link) . This exemption applies from 1 April 2022, with retroactive effect to 4 March 2022. The exemption therefore also applies to employees who started working between 4 March and 1 April. This means that employers no longer need to apply for a work permit to be able to hire a Ukrainian job applicant.

Employers need to report this to the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).

To be able to work you need a citizen service number (BSN). And proof of residence which shows that you are allowed to live and work in the Netherlands. You will get the BSN right away when you register in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

Employees in the Netherlands have the right to a safe workplace, breaks, vacation days and the minimum wage(External link).

The Labour Inspectorate will check whether companies are following the rules. Are you getting paid too little or do you have to perform dangerous work? Then you can call the Labour Inspectorate. The telephone number is 0800 51 51 (free).

Are you working in the Netherlands? Then you must take out a Dutch health insurance policy and pay the premiums. You can also apply for a healthcare benefit(External link). If you are not working, then the Subsidieregeling medisch noodzakelijke zorg aan onverzekerden(External link) (SOV) will apply.

You are allowed to do voluntary work if you are covered by the EU Temporary Protection Directive. You do not need a work permit. The organisation where you are working must apply for a volunteer declaration at the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). Read more information for asylum seekers who do voluntary work(External link) (

You are also allowed to do an internship. If you do an internship and you are paid at least the minimum wage, you must arrange basic health coverage.

For voluntary work there are different rules. These rules can be found on the website of the Social Insurance Bank (SVB)(External link) .

If you start doing paid work, you will no longer have the right to a living allowance. You should let the municipality know that you are going to do paid work. You can do this by calling the Ukraine telephone line on (070) 353 80 24.

The living allowance will stop as of the 1st day of the following month. Other family members and children who are living with you will still receive the living allowance.

If you do not report a change in your situation to the municipality, you will be receiving the living allowance illegally. This can result in you having to refund the extra living allowance you received.

Read more under Living allowance for Ukrainian refugees.

You have to pay the costs for (public) transportation yourself. Sometimes your employer can pay back the travel expenses. Speak to your employer about this. Most employers reimburse travel expenses on the basis of an expense claim or the maximum tax-free allowance.

Information for employers

You can only hire a refugee on the basis of an employment agreement. The government wants to protect refugees from being underpaid and from poor working conditions. From 1 April 2022 refugees who are covered by the EU Temporary Protection Directive(External link) are exempt from a work permit.

If you hire a Ukrainian refugee, report this as quickly as possible to the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). Use the form Report employment of a temporarily protected worker from Ukraine(External link) (in Dutch). From 15 April 2022 you are required to make a report at least 2 working days before the refugee starts working. If you do not do this, you could get a fine.

From 1 April 2022 you are required to make a report to the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) at least 2 working days before the employment relationship begins. An application for a work permit submitted before 1 April 2022 will be considered a report.

There will be a transition period until 15 April 2022. Until this date you can make a report to the UWV about the employment relationship with a refugee as of 4 March 2022. The condition that the report must be made at least 2 working days in advance does not apply here.

If you do not make a report, you could get a fine.

The UWV will check whether the details in the report are complete and will register them. The details are available to the Dutch Labour Inspectorate, which checks whether employers are complying with labour laws.

You can sign up at the help desk of Den Haag Werkt by sending an email to:

Read more information on working in the Netherlands on:

For other questions:


How can we help?