Apply for sufferance tax refund

In certain cases you can apply for a refund for sufferance tax if you paid too much.

A sufferance tax called a 'mooring fee' will be levied on houseboats and commercial vessels.


Has your liability for the sufferance tax ended during the course of the year? Then you can apply for a refund for the sufferance tax which you paid too much. You will need your assessment notice for the application.

    Apply for refund

    • You can apply online for a refund using your DigiD.

    By post

    If you do not have DigiD, you can also submit a request in writing. Sign the request and send it within 6 weeks after the change in situation to the Municipal Tax Department.

    The request should contain the following information:

    • your name and address
    • the date
    • the assessment number
    • the tax year
    • for which tax you are making a request
    • the reason for your request
    • your signature

    Do not forget to send an authorisation (machtiging) if you are making a request on behalf of someone else.

    How long does it take?

    Your request will be processed within 8 weeks after it is submitted.


    Contact the Municipal Tax Department