Apply for a refugee passport

The refugee passport is a travel document for people who are recognised as refugees in the Netherlands. It is also a valid form of identification. You may not use the refugee passport to travel to your country of origin.

You can travel outside the Netherlands using your refugee passport. For many countries you still need a visa. The embassy of the country where you are travelling can give you more information (see: Begin external link: I’m going on holiday abroad. Do I need a visa?(External link), end external link.).

  • You are recognised as a refugee by the United Nations (UN) and the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
  • You are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of The Hague.
  • A refugee passport is valid for a maximum of 5 years. The exact length of validity depends on your residence permit.

  • Make an appointment to apply for a refugee passport.
  • Go in person to the Department of Public Service counter at the Begin link: city office, end link. to apply for your refugee passport.
  • Pick up the refugee passport yourself at the city office where you applied for it. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it.

€ 63.40

In certain cases a supplementary fee will be charged on top of the price of a refugee passport. For example, for an expedited procedure. For an expedited procedure you will pay € 57.05 extra.

These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

6 working days. The pick-up receipt will state the date as of when you can collect your passport and what you need to take with you when you pick it up. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it. If you would like a travel document after this 3-month period, then you will have to apply and pay for it again.

If your passport is lost or stolen, it can take more time. You will be notified by the municipality.

You must pick up your passport yourself. Nobody else is allowed to do this for you. You can collect your passport anytime during the opening hours of City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You do not need to make an appointment to collect it.

Needed when collecting the document

Are you 18 years or older and are you coming to collect your passport? Then you need to take the following:

  • the pick-up receipt
  • your current passport, if it has not yet expired. You will need to turn it in.

Young people between 12 and 18 years

An underage child between the ages of 12 and 18 years may collect a passport himself. Only the pick-up receipt and the current identity document are required.

Child younger than 12 years

Is the child younger than 12 years? The following is also needed when collecting the document:

  • 1 of the parents with parental responsibility or 1 other person with parental responsibility or somebody who has been given permission. The person accompanying the child must be 18 years or older.
  • Written consent from a person with parental responsibility. This states that the person accompanying the child is allowed to collect the document together with the child.
  • A valid (copy of the) identity document for a parent or a person with parental responsibility. The signature on the identity document must match the signature on the consent form.

Do you need the new passport urgently? Indicate during your appointment that you would like to use the expedited procedure. You will not have to wait as long but it is also more expensive.

If you submit the application before 14.00 hrs., you can pick up your new second passport after 2 working days. For example: if you submit it Monday before 14.00 hrs. you can pick it up on Wednesday.

An expedited procedure is not always possible. It depends on your refugee status.


How can we help?


More options

To contact page