Apply for a Dutch passport for a child

Your child does not yet have a Dutch passport or it will soon expire? And is your child 17 years or younger? Apply for a passport for children.

Apply for a new passport on time

The municipality expects it to get extra busy in 2024 with many more applications for new passports and identity cards.

How it works

  1. Read the conditions

    So that you know for sure whether your child can apply for a passport.

  2. Make an appointment

    You must visit the municipality in person to apply for a passport.

  3. Make sure you have what you need

    You have to take this with you to the appointment.

  4. Go to the appointment

    Take everything which is required. The municipality will check your documents and will submit the passport application.

  5. Pick up the passport

    It will be ready after 6 working days. You do not need to make an appointment.


  • Your child has Dutch citizenship (nationality).
  • Your child is registered in the Municipality of The Hague.
  • Your child is 17 years or younger.
  • Permission from all the people with parental responsibility has been arranged.

Permission from everyone with parental responsibility

Read how to arrange this under ‘Begin link: Give consent, end link. ‘ on this page.

icon permission consent

Your child must also attend the appointment

As of 12 years your child is allowed to come alone.

icon parents with baby

Your child’s current passport and identity card

Does your child have additional identity documents? Take everything with you. Even if they are expired or from a foreign country.

icon passport and ID card

1 new passport photo of your child which meets all requirements

Read all of the requirements on the Begin external link: website of the Government of the Netherlands(External link), end external link.. If the photo does not meet all the requirements, the municipality will not be able to submit the application. You will then have to make a new appointment.

icon passport photo

A bank card

You will pay at the municipal counter when you apply. You can pay with your bank card. You can also pay in cash at City Hall Spui. You cannot pay with a credit card.

icon bank card

Tips for a smooth application process

– Measure your child’s height before you leave the house.
– Make sure that your hands are clean. The municipality will take fingerprints during the appointment. The municipality does this with children who are 12 years and older.

Apply for a passport

Make an appointment at the municipality to apply for a passport.

Need a passport quickly?

  • Indicate this during your appointment.
  • Are you applying before 14.00 hrs.? Then your passport will be ready after 2 working days. For example: if you apply Monday before 14.00 hrs., you can collect it Wednesday.
  • You will pay extra fees for this.

€ 63.40
€ 120.45 (€ 57.05 extra)

Your passport will be ready after 6 working days at the city office where you applied for it.

You have 3 months to collect your passport. After that the municipality will have to destroy it. You will then have to make a new appointment and pay again.

Begin link: Look at the opening hours for the city district offices, end link.


Wednesday morning is usually a good time for picking up a passport.
Busy times are:
– between 12.00 and 13.00 hrs.
– Thursday evening in City Hall Spui
–Friday afternoon in City Hall Spui and the Leyweg City Office

A passport is valid for 5 years if your child is 17 years or younger. You are allowed to renew the passport at any time. You do not have to wait until it has expired.

You are never allowed to throw away or destroy a passport. You must turn in an expired passport. The passport remains the property of the state. The municipality can also invalidate it at your request, so that you can keep the old document.

Yes, you can. Make an appointment and indicate under the number (‘aantal’) how many passports you need. For example, 4 passports for 4 family members. Extra time will then be reserved for you.

Do you intend to travel outside the Netherlands with a child under the age of 18? Then you need permission from all parents or legal guardians. Read more on the Begin external link: website of the Government of the Netherlands(External link), end external link..


How can we help?


More options

To contact page