Apply for a passport and identity card for Dutch citizens abroad

Do you have Dutch nationality or citizenship and do you live abroad? You can apply for a Dutch passport or identity card in a number of municipalities in the Netherlands.

Belangrijke informatie:

Are you applying for an identity card that will be valid on 1 January 2021 or later? You can use it to login on DigiD. Once you have logged in, you can easily arrange your government, healthcare, education and pension fund affairs. After collecting your identity card from the municipality, you will receive a letter from DigiD within 5 working days. You can then login to DigiD with your card. Also see

Belangrijke informatie:

You can apply for a new passport or identity card in The Hague but also at a number of other municipalities: BergeijkBergen op ZoomBredaEcht-SusterenEnschedeMaastrichtMontferlandOldambt, SluisVenlo, and at the counter of the municipality of Haarlemmermeer at Schiphol Airport.

You can also apply for a new passport or identity card in the country in which you live. You can apply at a Netherlands embassy, a Netherlands consulate-general or an external service provider such as VFS Global.


    • You have Dutch nationality or citizenship.
    • You live abroad.
    • You are not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of a Dutch municipality.

    Needed to apply

    Go to Choose the country where you live to see which documents you need for your application.

    You live in the Caribbean Netherlands

    If you live in the Caribbean Netherlands (Curaçao, Aruba, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius of Saba), then you need the following documents.

    • A passport photo: strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the website of the Dutch government.
    • All of your passports or identity cards.
    • Proof of registration or deregistration stating your nationality.
    • You were not born on 1 of the islands? Then you also need your birth certificate.
    • If you have gotten another citizenship, proof of this.

    Your passport or identity card is lost or stolen

    Has your passport or identity card been lost or stolen? Then you will fill in a declaration of loss when you apply for a new passport or identity card.


    Make an appointment (form is in Dutch)

    • Come to the appointment in person.
    • During your appointment you will hear when you can pick up your passport or identity card.
    • Pick up your passport or identity card from City Hall Spui yourself. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it. Would you still like a passport or identity card after this 3-month period? Then you will have to submit a new application and pay again.


    Rate in 2023
    business or second) passport for 18 years and older € 117.35
    (business or second) passport up to 18 years € 98.40
    identity card for 18 years and older € 113.20
    identity card up to 18 yers € 80.80

    Because you are not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP), the fees are higher than for a regular application. Extra paperwork is required for the application. You need to pay these fees when you apply at the counter at City Hall Spui. You can pay cash as well as by bank card.

    How long does it take?

    The municipality will first check whether the application is complete. If all of the documents are in order, your passport or identity card will be ready after 3 working days.

    Good to know

    • There are language requirements for the documents. Check on the page Translating foreign documents.
    • If you want to use foreign documents in the Netherlands, you often first need to have them legalised. This is usually done in the country where the document originates. Look at the website of the Dutch government for instructions.