Registration at the municipality for Ukrainians

Are you a refugee from Ukraine? You have to register in the municipality where you are living (in a long-term shelter location or in a private home). In The Hague you will register during an appointment in City Hall, Spui 70.

Appointment for picking up proof of residence at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)

Do you fall under the EU Temporary Protection Directive and are you registered at the municipality? Then you can get proof of residence an an IND pickup location.

You can usually register only once you have moved from the initial shelter location to the shelter location where you will stay for a longer time, because you will then have a residential address. If you are living with a private host family or you have your own living space or place to sleep, you can register immediately.

After you register, your information will be added to the Personal Records Database (BRP). And you will get your citizen service number (BSN). You will need this number to arrange all of your government affairs. Make an appointment to register.

After you register you can apply for proof of residence in the Netherlands at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND):

Who is it for?

The municipality can register the following refugees from Ukraine who fall under the EU Temporary Protection Directive:

  • People with Ukrainian citizenship (nationality) who

    • are able to prove their identity and citizenship
    • left Ukraine after 26 November 2021
    • traveled from Ukraine to the Netherlands before 27 November 2021
  • People with another citizenship (nationality) (not Ukrainian) who prior to 24 February 2022:

    • are able to prove their identity and citizenship
    • had international or national protection in Ukraine because they are not safe in their country of origin
    • had a valid permanent Ukrainian residence permit and did not return to their country of origin
  • Family members of the persons named in 1 and 2:

    • spouse or non-married partner with whom they form a long-term relationship
    • underage unmarried children (born or adopted within or outside the marriage)
    • other close family members who lived together with the family and who are fully or nearly fully dependent

The Ukrainian Embassy can give you a certificate (proof) that you have Ukrainian identity and citizenship. You can apply for this certificate on weekdays during the consultation hours between 9.00 and 13.00 hrs. at Zeestraat 78 in The Hague. You do not need to make an appointment for this. Once you have the certificate, the municipality can register you in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You will need a passport photo to do this. Refugees can get a passport photo made for free at the Primera shop in The Hague City Hall on the Spui.

If the municipality or embassy is unable to verify your identity or citizenship, the municipality will not be able to register you. If this is the case, send an email to The municipality will then soon invite you for an extra check by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

For children under the age of 18 years who do not have an identity document, the parents can give a statement under oath or affirmation. This allows the municipality to verify the identity of the children. The municipality can then register the children.


You can usually register only once you have moved from the initial shelter location to a long-term shelter location.

You must meet the following conditions when you register:

  • You fall under the EU Temporary Protection Directive for refugees from Ukraine. The groups are described above.
  • You are staying with a private host family, in a private home or place to sleep, or in a municipal shelter location (long-term shelter location).

Needed at the appointment

  • An identity document (passport or other proof of identity).
  • A declaration from your host family. This is called proof of occupancy. Read more about the consequences for taxes and tenancy law in the Handreiking Particuliere Opvang Oekraïners (POO) - Versie 3 (
  • The address of your host family, your own home or the address of your long-term municipal shelter location.
  • All family members who would like to register must attend the appointment. This includes babies, young children and seniors.
  • If you have these: official proof (certificates) of birth, marriage, divorce or adoption.

Make an appointment

  • Make an appointment by phoning tel. (070) 353 80 24 (+31 70 353 80 24 from abroad). You can reach this number Monday to Friday from 9.00 to 17.00 hrs.
  • Provide your personal and contact details.
  • Indicate if you have an identity document.
  • Indicate how many people will come to the appointment. Include all family members. Otherwise there might not be enough time register everybody.

Come on time. If you arrive too late, the municipality might not be able to help you.



How long does it take?

The appointment takes about 30 minutes.

Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP immediately. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN).

Good to know

  • The citizen service number (BSN) is your unique personal number for contact with the government. You need this number if you want to work, open a bank account or arrange your affairs online with the government.
    • After you register you can apply for a personal Dutch bank account. Read more on the page Living allowance for Ukrainian refugees.
    • After you register you can apply for DigiD. You can arrange your affairs with the government online using your DigiD.
    • Will you be moving to another address in The Hague after you registered? Report your move by sending an email to
    • Will you be moving to another municipality in the Netherlands or abroad after you registered? Report your move by sending an email to