Register again in the BRP (you already have a BSN)

Are you moving back to The Hague from another country? Or have you been deregistered and would you like to register again? If you will be living in The Hague for longer than 4 months, you need to register again in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is required by law.

If this situation does not apply to you, go to Moving to The Hague from abroad.


  • You will be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer.

  • You already have a citizen service number (BSN).
  • You were previously registered in the Netherlands or in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI).

Do you want to backdate your registration? This can be done on the date you have scheduled the appointment. Even if the appointment is later.

You have then

  • made an appointment for a 1st registration or renewal of registration
  • made the appointment after you came to live in the Netherlands
  • a copy of the appointment confirmation with you (you will receive this by e-mail. You can print this or show it on your telephone, tablet or laptop. Please note! The date of your scheduled appointment must be clearly visible)

Who is it for?

Everyone who already has a citizen service number (BSN), is coming from abroad to live in the Netherlands and will be living in The Hague for longer than 4 months. This also applies to Dutch citizens from the Caribbean Netherlands (the countries Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten and the municipalities Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius).

    Needed at the appointment

    • A valid form of identification (this may not be a driving licence).
      The registration desk will check whether you may also register using an expired passport. Was your passport stolen or is it lost? Then fill in a declaration of loss during your appointment at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.
    • A valid proof of occupancy.
    • A proof of deregistration if you are coming from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius. You will get this document when you report your departure to the Civil Registry office (Dienst Burgerlijke Stand en Bevolkingsadministratie).
    • All family members who would like to register need to attend the appointment. This includes babies, young children and older family members.
    Belangrijke informatie:

    You do not have a European Union (EU) nationality? Take 1 of the following documents to your appointment:

    • a permanent residence document
    • a residence endorsement sticker from the IND in your passport
    • the temporary regular residence permit sticker (MVV) dating from after 1 June 2013
    • authorisation by the IND (Entrance and Residence procedure, TEV)
    Belangrijke informatie:

    Have you been granted asylum? Then take the following documents to your appointment:

    • your valid foreign nationals identity document (Vreemdelingen Identiteitsbewijs, VI) or residence document. See the information under Foreign Nationals Identity Document (Type W and W2) on the website of the IND.
    • A supervision order for unaccompanied minors.

          Make an appointment

          You can call the municipality on tel. 14070 to make an appointment.
          From abroad you can call tel. +31 70 353 30 00.

          Bring your documents to the Department of Public Service counter where you have the appointment at the Segbroek district office.

              Belangrijke informatie:

              Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may not be enough time to help you.



              How long does it take?

              Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information.

              Good to know

              • Have your birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce papers, adoption certificate(s) or other important documents not (yet) been registered in the BRP? Have this done as quickly as possible. Make an appointment to register foreign source documents in the BRP.  
              • Would you like to know which personal data the Dutch population register (BRP) contains and what they are used for? Read about this on the website of the Dutch government.
              • Will you be moving to another address in The Hague after you registered? Report your move.
              • Will you be moving to another municipality in the Netherlands or abroad after you registered? Report your move to the new municipality or deregister.
              • Everybody 16 years and older is allowed to report his or her own move if he or she has not been placed under guardianship.