1st BRP registration when coming from abroad with residence permit (you do not have a BSN)

Do you have the citizenship (nationality) of a country from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland? Have you never previously lived in the Netherlands and will you be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer? Then you need to register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is required by law.

Have you lived in the Netherlands before? Do you already have a citizen service number (BSN)? Or will you be staying for less than 4 months? Go to Registering again in the BRP.


  • You have proof of lawful residence. This can be:

    • a permanent residence document
    • a residence endorsement sticker from the IND in your passport
    • the temporary regular residence permit sticker (MVV)
    • authorisation by the IND (Entrance and Residence procedure, TEV)
    • the invitation by the IND to pick up the residence permit.
  • You will be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer.
  • You have not previously been registered in the Netherlands.
  • You do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN).

Would you like to be registered after the fact? You can be registered on the date that you scheduled the appointment. Even if the appointment is later.

You then have:

  • made an appointment for a 1st registration or to register again (resettling)
  • made the appointment after you came to live in the Netherlands
  • a copy of the appointment confirmation with you (you will receive this by e-mail. Print this or show it on your telephone, tablet or laptop. Pay attention! It must be clearly visible when you scheduled the appointment)

Needed at the appointment

Have you applied for asylum? And have you not (yet) received a final decision on your application? Then take the following documents to your appointment:

  • Your valid foreign nationals identity document (Vreemdelingen Identiteitsbewijs, VI) or residence document.
    See the information under Foreign Nationals Identity Document (Type W and W2) on the website of the IND.
  • The report on the initial and subsequent interviews with the IND.
  • Are you an unaccompanied minor? Then you need a guardian provided by Nidos. In this case also take your supervision order to the appointment.

Were you born, married or divorced abroad? Also take your foreign documents to the appointment. For example:

  • Your birth certificate.
  • If applicable: the birth certificates of your partner and/or your children.
  • If applicable: your marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership.
  • If applicable: divorce papers.
  • If applicable: adoption papers and/or a death certificate for your partner or child(ren).

These documents are not required for registration. Nevertheless take them with you to your appointment. The municipality will review these documents. If they are in order, the information will be registered in the BRP.

Sometimes your certificate or document needs to be legalised and/or translated. You can look up country specific information on the website of netherlandsandyou.nl. Choose the country which issued your document. 

Make an appointment

You can call the municipality on tel. 14070 to make an appointment.
From abroad you can call tel. +31 70 353 30 00.

Bring your documents to the Department of Public Service counter where you have the appointment: at City Hall Spui, the Leyweg City Office or the Segbroek district office.

    Belangrijke informatie:

    Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time to help you.

    Are you a recognised scientific researcher? Do you fall under the highly-skilled migrant scheme of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)? Or do you have a 'privileged' status in the Netherlands? Make an appointment at The Hague International Centre.



    How long does it take?

    Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN) by post.

    Good to know