1st BRP registration for Dutch citizens coming from abroad (you do not have a BSN)

Are you a Dutch citizen and are you coming from abroad to live in The Hague for 4 months or longer? And have you never previously lived in the Netherlands? Then you need to register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is required by law.

Have you been registered in the Netherlands before? Or do you already have a citizen service number (BSN)? Go to Registering again in the BRP.

    Who is it for?

    • Dutch citizens who are moving to The Hague from abroad and who have not previously lived in the Netherlands.

    • Dutch citizens who are moving to The Hague from Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten or the municipalities Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius and who have not previously lived in the Netherlands. 


        • You have Dutch nationality.
        • You will be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer.
        • You have not previously been registered in the Netherlands.
        • You do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN).

          Do you want to backdate your registration? This can be done on the date you have scheduled the appointment. Even if the appointment is later.

          You have then

          • made an appointment for a 1st registration or renewal of registration
          • made the appointment after you came to live in the Netherlands
          • a copy of the appointment confirmation with you (you will receive this by e-mail. You can print this or show it on your telephone, tablet or laptop. Please note! The date of your scheduled appointment must be clearly visible)

          Needed at the appointment

          • A valid form of identification (this may not be a driving licence).
          • A proof of occupancy.
          • A proof of deregistration if you are coming from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius. You will get this document when you report your departure to the Civil Registry office (Dienst Burgerlijke Stand en Bevolkingsadministratie).
          • All family members who would like to register need to attend the appointment. This includes babies, young children and older family members.

          If you were born, married or divorced abroad, also take the following documents to the appointment:

          • Your birth certificate.
          • If applicable: the birth certificates of your partner and/or your children.
          • If applicable: your marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership.
          • If applicable: divorce papers.
          • If applicable: adoption papers and/or a death certificate for your partner or child(ren).

          These documents are not required for registration. Nevertheless take them with you to your appointment. The municipality will review these documents. If they are in order, the information will be registered in the BRP.

          Sometimes your certificate or document needs to be legalised and/or translated. You can look up country specific information on the website of netherlandsandyou.nl. Choose the country which issued your document. 

          Make an appointment

          • Make an appointment via the website.
          • Fill in your new address in The Hague.
          • Indicate how many people need to be registered. Count all family members. Otherwise there may not be enough time to register everybody.

          Make an appointment (in Dutch)

          Let op!

          Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.



          How long does it take?

          Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN) by post.

          Good to know