Request a change in the use of your surname

You are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) under the name given to you at birth. Sometimes your civil status will change. For example, when you get married or divorced or you enter a registered partnership. You can then choose how you would like to be addressed by indicating your surname or a combination of surnames. Organisations which get their information from the BRP will then address you with the name you have chosen.

Belangrijke informatie: You can request a change in the use of your surname 2 weeks after the change in your civil status.

Needed for your request

  • A copy of your valid form of identification
  • You need to be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of the Municipality of The Hague.

You were married outside the Netherlands

Were you married abroad? And do you have a foreign passport with your new surname? Look at Change personal data in the BRP.

    What name can you choose?

      • You can use the surname of your partner.
      • You can choose a combination of both surnames. You can determine the order of the names yourself.
      • You can use your own birth name.

      Your birth name will always remain in your Dutch passport, identity card or driving licence. Even if your civil status changes. You can have your partner’s surname stated on these documents.

      A request for a change in the use of your surname in the BRP is different from legally changing your family name. More information on this subject can be found under Changing your name.



      How long does it take?

      • online: 5 working days
      • in writing: 10 working days



      Request a change in the use of your surname online.

      Apply in MijnDenHaag

      Apply for change

      No DigiD? Apply for your DigiD

      In writing

      You can also request a change in the use of your surname in writing. Send a signed letter to the Department of Public Service.

      Are you having difficulties?

      Is it not working for you to apply online? Or are there special circumstances? Then you might be able to visit the emergency desk. More information and the conditions can be found under Make an appointment at the municipality.

      Good to know

      You can make a safe copy of your identity document with your mobile telephone or tablet using the KopieID app. Read more on the website of the Dutch government.