Lost and found items

Have you found something or are you missing something? Read what you can do.

If you have lost or found something, look at the national website www.verlorenofgevonden.nl. You can use this website to register found objects and find lost objects.

Let op!
Please note: it can take between several days up to a week before a registered lost or found item is posted on the website.


  • Turn in driving licences, passports, identity cards and foreign documents to the municipality at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.
    Found Dutch passports and identity cards for residents of Dutch municipalities will be destroyed and will not be returned to the owner. Found driving licences will be kept and returned to the owner, when possible. Found foreign passports and identity cards and driving licences for residents of Dutch municipalities are not allowed to be destroyed. These must be sent to the embassy or consulate of the country in question.
  • Send cards/passes to the relevant authority. The address is often printed on the back of the card/pass.
  • Immediately contact the police if you find weapons and/or explosives.
  • Have you dropped something down a drain or manhole (for example, keys)? Report this to the municipality.
  • Have you dropped something in an underground rubbish container (ORAC)? Contact the Haagse Milieu Services (HMS) on tel. (070) 311 77 99.
  • Have you lost something on public transport? Contact the transportation company.

You found something

You can register a found item yourself or ask the municipality to do this for you.

You register the item:

  • Register the item on www.verlorenofgevonden.nl.
  • Your personal details will be visible only to the municipality which manages the administration. Keep the item at home and make sure that it is in the same condition as when you found it.
  • If the rightful owner finds the item on www.verlorenofgevonden.nl, he/she will get your contact details through the website and will contact you.
  • If the rightful owner does not contact you, the item will become your property after 1 year (legal time limit).

The municipality registers the items:

  • Would you rather not keep the item at home? Bring it to the municipality. You can place it in a dropbox (a container with a slot and lock) at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. These dropboxes are emptied once a week (on Monday) at a municipal depository.
  • Staff of the depository will register the item on www.verlorenofgevonden.nl.
  • The item will be stored in the depository.

You lost something

  • Look at www.verlorenofgevonden.nl to see whether somebody has found your item. You can also report your missing item through the website.
  • If you find your lost item on www.verlorenofgevonden.nl, you can get the contact details of the finder from the municipality. Or the municipality will let you know if the item is in the municipal depository.
  • Make sure that you can prove that you are the rightful owner. You can do this for example with the following information:
    1. specific characteristics of the item
    2. where and when you lost the item
    3. a document or item that belongs to your lost object, such as a (spare) key for your bicycle, a proof of purchase, a registration number, etc.
  • Bring the proof of ownership and your valid form of identification when you go to collect your item.
  • You may end up collecting the item at the finder’s home or at the municipality.