Renting out a 2nd home (pied-à-terre)

Are you going to rent out living space as a 2nd home (pied-à-terre)? Then you need an exemption and a registration number to do this. Read how this works on this page. You can apply for an exemption and a registration number here.

Renting out a pied-à-terre is a form of holiday rental. It means that you rent out a residential property to someone who wants to use it as 2nd home. The landlord does not live in the residential property himself. The tenant will not be registered at that address in the municipality’s Personal Records Database (BRP). There is a rental contract.

As of 2 August 2021 you need an exemption and a registration number to rent out a pied-à-terre in The Hague.

For rentals

  • In order to rent out a residential property to someone who wants to use the property as a 2nd home (pied-à-terre), you need an exemption and a registration number.
  • You do not live in the residential property yourself. The tenant is not registered in the BRP at the address of the property or at another address in The Hague.
  • Only the tenant and members of the tenant’s family may stay in the residential property.
  • No new exemption will be granted within 12 months after an exemption has been granted.
  • You will not be granted an exemption if the residential property has 142 WWS points or less (the national points system for rental properties). For more information on the rental price and WWS points for a residential property, go to the Begin external link: website of the Huurcommissie(External link), end external link.. If you make the calculation on this website, make sure to save it. You will need the calculation for the application.
  • If you rented out the living space as a pied-à-terre before 2 August 2021, you must still apply for a registration number and exemption.
  • If you are going to offer the living space as a pied-à-terre, you must state the registration number in the advertisement. For example, on a business card or in an advertisement on a website.
  • You pay tourist tax to the municipality.

For personal use

The exemption will be granted under the following conditions:

  • The exemption is connected to the rental contract.
  • The exemption is non-transferable.
  • The exemption is valid as long as the rental contract is in effect.
  • This form of holiday rental is permitted by your homeowners association (Vereniging van Eigenaren, VvE) or landlord.
  • It is forbidden to rent out the residential property in another form of holiday rental.
  • The occupants must each have at least 12 square metres of living space.
  • The tenant is not registered as a resident at another address in the BRP of The Hague.

  • If you are applying on behalf of somebody else: a signed authorisation. This must in any case include the:

    • name of the authorised person
    • name of the applicant (the person giving the authorisation)
    • consent to apply for a permit by the authorised person, on behalf of the applicant
    • signatures of the authorised person and applicant

Apply online for an exemption and registration number.

The exemption costs € 124.05. You pay these fees for the processing of your application. If the municipality rejects your application for the permit, these fees will not be refunded.

The registration number is free of charge.

You will receive the registration number immediately after you apply for it. The permit will follow within 8 weeks, if the application and the residential property meet the conditions. You may advertise as soon as you receive the registration number. But you may rent out the residential property only after the exemption is granted.

Do you have any questions about the exemption (procedure) or registration number? Send an email to Begin link:, end link. .


How can we help?


More options

To contact page