Low-emission zone for diesel trucks and diesel buses

The Hague has a low-emission zone for diesel-powered trucks and buses. From 1 January 2022 only diesel trucks and diesel buses with an emissions standard of 6 and vehicles which do not produce harmful emissions will be allowed to drive in this low-emission zone. Non diesel-powered vehicles also have access to the low-emission zone.

You can use the number plate check on the website Begin external link: Milieuzones in Nederland(External link), end external link. to see if your truck or bus has access to the low-emission zone? You do not have access or an automatic waiver? Then you may be able to apply for an exemption.

Where is the low-emission zone?

The low-emission zone is located within the Centrumring (S100) and the Professor B.M. Teldersweg (S200).

The following roads do not fall within the low-emission zone:

  • the Centrumring and the Telderstracé themselves.
  • the route to HMC Westeinde Hopsital from the Lijnbaan to the car park and the parking garage of the hospital.

Low-emission zone for cargo transport

Look at the low-emission zone on the map (1 July 2021)

Go to map

Traffic signs indicate where the low-emission zone starts and ends. The low-emission zone for trucks and buses has the same boundaries as the low-emission zone for diesel-powered passenger vehicles and delivery vans.

Automatic waiver for the low-emission zone

The low-emission zone for diesel trucks and buses does not apply to all high emission vehicles. Certain vehicles have an automatic waiver and are allowed to enter the low-emission zone. You do not need to do anything for this.

  • old camper vans with the bodywork code SA whose owner lives in the low-emission zone
  • ‘vintage model’ vehicles with an initial registration date of 40 years or older (oldtimers)
  • wheelchair accessible vehicles with the bodywork code SH, or special codes 145, 146, 147 or 149
  • certain categories of special trucks, such as concrete mixers, street sweepers, vacuum tankers and so on

More information about special vehicles which have an automatic waiver can be found at Begin external link: www.milieuzones.nl/bijzondere-voertuigen(External link), end external link..

Exemption for the low-emission zone

You do not have an automatic waiver? Sometimes you can apply for an exemption. You will then be allowed to drive your high emission vehicle in the low-emission zone.

There are 4 types of exemptions. See if you can apply for an exemption.

Do you drive your truck or bus in the low-emission zone once in a while? Then you can apply for a Begin link: one-day exemption, end link. (in Dutch). You can get a one-day exemption a maximum of 12 times per year.

Have you ordered a cleaner vehicle with an emissions standard of 6, or a zero-emission vehicle? Then you can Begin link: apply for an exemption, end link. (in Dutch) for your current polluting vehicle for up to 12 months until your new vehicle is delivered.

Could your business go bankrupt because of the low-emission zone? And can you demonstrate that you need the polluting truck or bus for your business to survive? Then you may be able to get an Begin link: exemption, end link. (in Dutch).

Is your diesel truck or bus not allowed in the low-emission zone? And are you unable to get a one-day exemption or long-term exemption? See if you qualify for an Begin link: ontheffing in bijzondere gevallen, end link. (in Dutch).

You will pay an application fee for an exemption. This is the municipality’s fee for processing your application. You will not get this fee back if you do not get an exemption. You can track the status of your application on MijnDenHaag under MijnZaken.

You will not be able to switch a one-day exemption to a different date. If you cancel the one-day exemption, you will not be reimbursed for the fee.


The low-emission zone is based on the Road Traffic Act (Wegenverkeerswet). The municipality uses cameras and special enforcement officers to enforce the law. If you get a fine, it will be issued by the Central Judicial Collection Agency (CJIB).

If you do not agree with a fine, you can file an objection at the CJIB. The letter you received about your fine will explain how to do this.

You can request the photo proving that you were in violation of the law at the municipality. Send an email to Begin link: ANPRfoto@denhaag.nl, end link. . The email should include:

  • the number plate of the vehicle for which you got the fine
  • the date of the offence
  • the email address the municipality can use to send the photo

More information


How can we help?


More options

To contact page