Request legalisation of signature

Sometimes a signature needs to be legalised. The municipality will then verify whether the signature on a document is truly your own.

You need a legalised signature, for example, when:

If you are married or have entered into a civil partnership, both you and your married/civil partner must grant permission for a guarantee. Both of you must sign your names in the presence of the municipal official. You will then pay to legalise 2 signatures for the proof of sponsorship.

  • If you request a legalised signature because you are the sponsor for a foreign visitor who requires a short-stay visa for the Netherlands: the legalised signature on the form is valid for 6 months.
  • If you request a legalised signature because you want to arrange an inheritance abroad or send an important document to a foreign country: the validity of the legalised signature depends on which authority is requesting the legalisation or which country you are sending the document to. You can inquire about this at the authority requesting the legalisation.

  • To have your signature legalised, you must visit the counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office in person. Make an appointment to do this.
  • The official who will verify your signature needs to watch you sign your name.
  • When a signature is legalised, the mayor declares the authenticity of your signature on a specific document.

Legalisation costs € 17.10 (in 2024) for each signature on a form. Are you signing more than 1 form? Then you will pay more times to have each signature legalised. This also applies to your partner.

You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

Your signature will be legalised when you visit the counter at City Hall Spui and the Leyweg City Office.

You can have your signature legalised in every municipality in the Netherlands. You do not necessarily have to do this in the municipality where you are living.


How can we help?


More options

To contact page