Register children adopted from abroad

Did you adopt a child abroad and is that child going to live in The Hague? Then you must register the child in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

Not all foreign adoptions will be registered. Only foreign adoptions which can be recognised under Dutch law can be registered in the BRP. Whether the foreign adoption can be recognised and registered will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

  • A Begin link: valid form of identification, end link. for the adopted child and the parent(s). This may not be a driving licence.
  • Does your child already have Dutch citizenshp when he arrives in the Netherlands? Then bring the child’s Dutch form of identification with you.
  • A Begin link: proof of occupancy, end link. .
  • A recent original birth certificate for your child. This is not a condition for registration. The certificate can also be submitted at a later moment (by appointment).
  • The foreign ruling by a court or other authority on the adoption.
  • If you have other foreign adoption documents, then also bring these with you.

Depending on the situation, you may be asked to provide other documents as well.

Registration procedure for an adopted child with Dutch citizenship

Make an appointment online at City Hall Spui.

  • You can do this by clicking on the green button below but you can also make an appointment by Begin link: contacting the municipality, end link. .
  • Enter the correct home address when making the appointment. This is the address where your child will be registered.
  • Come to the appointment in person, together with your child.
Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.

Registration procedure for an adopted child with non-Dutch citizenship

  • First you must call to make an appointment with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) to register your child in the BRP as well as to apply for a residence permit for your child. Look at the information on adopted or related foster children on the Begin external link: website of the IND(External link), end external link..
  • You must come to the appointment in person, together with your child.
  • You will be notified once your child has been registered in the BRP, in principle within 4 weeks. This letter will also state your child’s citizen service number (BSN).
  • The IND processes the application for a residence permit and will inform you about how this application is proceeding.


It depends of your personal situation and the documents which are required. Usually your BRP registration will be processed within 4 weeks once you have submitted all of your documents. You will receive a letter from the municipality with the confirmation of your registration.

Registering birth certificate and adoption certificate

Would you like to have your adopted child’s birth certificate and adoption certificate registered with the Registry Office of the municipality? For more information go to the page Begin link: Register a foreign certificate, end link. .


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the Begin external link: website of the Government of the Netherlands(External link), end external link..


More information about the requirements for the language in which the certificate was drawn up can be found under Begin link: Translating foreign documents, end link. .

The municipality will verify the authenticity of your identity documents.


How can we help?


More options

To contact page