Report illegal construction work
Is somebody in your nearby surroundings doing illegal building, renovation or demolition work? Report illegal construction activities to the municipality.
- your name, address, telephone number and email address
- address and location of the illegal building activity
- description of the illegal building activity, with photos
- starting date of the illegal building activity
- written account of your conversation with the suspected offender about the illegal building activity
First check if the building activities are illegal. Sometimes a permit has been granted. Or the building work is allowed to be done permit-free.
- Look in the Begin link: , end link. to see whether somebody applied for an environment and planning permit (omgevingsvergunning) and if it was granted.
- Go to the Begin external link: , end external link. to check whether the building activities are permit-free.
- Look at new building permit applications via the Begin external link: , end external link.. Check where building, renovation or demolition work is taking place in your neighbourhood.
Are the building activities actually illegal? First notify the owner, landlord or homeowners association (Vereniging van Eigenaren, VvE) in writing. This will give them the opportunity to rectify the situation. Are you unable to solve the problem together with the owner? Then report it to the municipality.
After your report
- The municipality registers all reports. It uses them to see which problems there are in the city and where they occur most often.
- Municipal officials are unable to check or solve all the reported issues. This is why they mainly take action when there are serious problems and dangerous situations.
- If the construction work does not comply with the rules, the municipality can shut down the construction work, or even close and seal off a building. If the situation is less urgent, the municipality will check the reported issue at a later moment. Or you will get advice on what you can do yourself.
- You will receive a confirmation of your report. The municipality will assess your report as quickly as possible. It is not always possible to inform you about this.
Read more about the working method of Begin link: , end link. .