Apply for an alien's passport

Are you living here without Dutch nationality? And are you unable to obtain a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for an alien’s passport. It is also a valid form of identification.

You can travel to any country except your country of origin using an alien’s passport or a refugee passport. You will still need a visa for many countries. The embassy of the country to which you are travelling can give you more information.


  • You must be able to show that you are unable to obtain a passport in your country of origin.
  • You are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of The Hague.
  • An alien’s passport is valid for a maximum of 5 years. The exact length of validity depends on your residence permit.

    What to take to your appointment

    • a valid residence permit.
    • documents proving that you are unable to obtain a passport from your own country of origin.
    • a passport photo: strict requirements apply to the passport photo. For example, the passport photo may not be more than 6 months old at the date of application and must be a true likeness. Read all of the requirements for photos on the website of the Dutch government.
    • your current alien's passport, if you have one.
    • younger than 18 years old? Make sure you have the consent of both parents or the people with parental responsibility and bring their valid proof of identity. You can use the Declaration of consent for Dutch travel documents.
    • Has your passport been stolen? You will fill in a declaration of loss during your application appointment at the city office.


    • Make an appointment to apply for an alien's passport. This way you do not need to wait for a long time at the city office.
    • Go to the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office to apply for your alien's passport.
    • Sign the application form. The municipality will send this together with an accompanying letter to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). After that, the form will go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If both organisations approve it, the municipality will request your alien’s passport.
    • The municipality will notify you when your alien's passport is ready. The pick-up receipt will state what you need to take with you when you pick up your passport. Pick up the alien's passport yourself at the city office where you applied for it.

        Make an appointment


        Rate: € 56.55.

        These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui and the Leyweg City Office.

        How long does it take?

        The application for an alien’s passport takes 2 to 4 months. The procedure takes a long time because both the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will take a decision on your application.