Apply for a second Dutch passport

Upon request the municipality issues a second Dutch passport to people who often need to be abroad.

The situation may arise that your first passport contains stamps from countries in conflict with the countries that you need to visit. This can cause problems when trying to enter those countries. A second passport could be the solution.

A second passport may also be necessary if you often urgently have to travel to countries which require a visa. For example, you left behind your passport at a consulate for a visa application. You can then use the second passport to apply for a visa for a different country. A second passport is valid for 2 years.


  • You have Dutch citizenship (nationality).
  • You are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of The Hague. If you are not registered in the BRP, then read Passport and identity card for Dutch citizens abroad or Passport and identity card without a fixed domicile.
  • Your first passport is still valid for at least 6 months.
  • You can prove that you have to visit different countries in one trip where it is likely that there will be problems entering a country.
  • You can prove that you often urgently have to travel at times when your national passport is at a foreign representation (for example, an embassy or consulate) in connection with a visa application. It must be a country to which you are not permitted to travel using a Dutch identity card.

Who is it for?

For people who often travel abroad.


  • Go in person to the Department of Public Service counter in City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office to apply for your passport.
  • Pick up the passport in person at the city office where you applied for it. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it.
  • Make an appointment to apply.

Make an appointment

What to take to your appointment

  • A passport photo: strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the website of the Dutch government.
  • Original documents which show that you need a second passport.
  • All the travel documents you have.
    Is your first passport not in your possession because of a visa application? Then a copy is also acceptable. You will have to copy the page with your personal data and all the visa pages which have stamps. Do not forget to bring a written statement from the embassy or the consulate where you left behind your first passport.

Was your passport lost or stolen? Fill in a declaration of loss at the city office when you are applying for a second passport.


  • second passport for 18 years and older: € 77.85 (in 2023)
  • second passport up to 18 years: € 58.85 (in 2023)
  • rush fee for expedited procedure: € 53 (in 2023)

These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

How long does it take?

5 working days. The pick-up receipt will state the date as of when you can collect your passport and what you need to take with you when you pick it up. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it. If you would like a travel document after this 3-month period, then you will have to apply and pay for it again.

If your passport is lost or stolen, it can take more time. You will be notified by the municipality.

Expedited procedure

Do you need the new second passport urgently? Indicate during your appointment that you would like to use the expedited procedure. You will not have to wait as long but it is also more expensive (look at ‘Fees’). If you submit the application before 14.00 hrs., you can pick up your new second passport after 2 working days. For example: if you submit it Monday before 14.00 hrs. you can pick it up on Wednesday.

    Dutch people abroad

    Are you in the Netherlands temporarily? Are you not registered at an address in the Netherlands and are you not intending to permanently reside in the Netherlands? Then read the information on Passport and identity card for Dutch citizens abroad.