Apply for a passport and identity card for Dutch citizens without a fixed domicile

Do you have Dutch citizenship (nationality), but no fixed address or place of residence? You can apply for a Dutch passport or identity card in a number of municipalities in the Netherlands.

You can use the new identity cards (valid as of 1 January 2021) to log in to DigiD. Once you have logged in, you can easily arrange your government, healthcare, education and pension fund affairs. After you collect your identity card at the municipality, you will receive a letter from DigiD within 5 working days. You can then log in to DigiD with the card. Also see link).

  • You have Dutch citizenship (nationality).
  • You live in the Netherlands.
  • You are not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) anywhere in the Netherlands.

  • Call tel. 14070 for a callback request. The municipality will phone you back within 3 working days to make an appointment.
  • You need to attend the appointment in person.
  • Pick up your passport or identity card from City Hall Spui yourself. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will be destroyed. Would you still like a passport or identity card after this 3-month period? Then you will have to submit a new application and pay again.

  • A passport photo: strict requirements apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the website of the Dutch government(External link).
  • All of your passports or identity cards.
  • Documents which prove that you live in the Netherlands. For example a statement about your welfare benefits or employer, insurance papers, housing permit, salary slips or bank statements. The municipality can use this to determine your citizenship.
  • Have you gotten another citizenship? Bring documents showing how and when you got this citizenship.

Apply for your child

To apply for a passport for a child younger than 18 years (passport) or younger than 12 years (identity card) you also need:

  • written permission from the people with parental responsibility. Usually this is both parents. You can use the consent form for minor applicants(External link).
  • a (copy of a) valid proof of identity for the people who signed the form.
  • your child must be present when applying for and collecting the document.

Your passport or identity card is lost or stolen

Has your passport been lost or stolen? Then report this when you apply for a new passport or identity document.

Rate in 2023
(business or 2nd) passport 18 years and older € 117.35
(business or 2nd) passport under 18 years € 98.40
identity card 18 years and older € 113.20
identity card under 18 years € 80.80

Because you are not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP), the fees are higher than for a regular application. There are extra administration costs for the application. You need to pay these fees when you apply at the counter at City Hall Spui. You can pay cash as well as by bank card.

  • The municipality will first check whether the application is complete. Once all of the documents are in order, your passport or identity card will be ready after 3 working days.
  • Sometimes additional documents are needed or further investigation is required. Most cases require further investigation. This can take up to 8 weeks.

You must pick up your passport or identity card yourself. Nobody else is allowed to do this for you. You can collect your passport or identity card anytime during the opening hours of City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You do not need to make an appointment to collect it.

Needed when collecting the document

Are you 18 years or older and are you coming to collect your passport or identity card? Then you need to take the following:

  • the pick-up receipt
  • your current passport or identity card, if it has not yet expired. You will need to turn it in.

Minors between 12 and 18 years

An underage child between the ages of 12 and 18 years may collect a passport or identity card himself. Only the pick-up receipt and the current identity document are required.

Child younger than 12 years

Is the child younger than 12 years? The following is also needed when collecting the document:

  • 1 of the parents with parental responsibility or 1 other person with parental responsibility or somebody who has been given consent. The person accompanying the child must be 18 years or older.
  • Written consent from a person with parental responsibility. This states that the person accompanying the child is allowed to collect the document together with the child.
  • A valid (copy of the) identity document for a parent or a person with parental responsibility. The signature on the identity document must match the signature on the consent form.

  • Did you deregister from the Personal Records Database (BRP) after September 1994? Do you now have a home address in the Netherlands and would you like to register there? Then you can also use an expired passport or identity card. You can register right away in the BRP of the municipality where you are living.
  • Do you have a mailing address? Apply for an identity card or passport at the municipality where this address is.


How can we help?