Request a mailing address

You do not have a home address and you would like to receive post? Then you can apply at the municipality to receive your post at the home of a friend, acquaintance or family member. This is called requesting a mailing address. Are you homeless and is there nobody who can receive your post? Ask for a mailing address at the Daklozenloket.

The municipality is obliged to register people at the address where they spend the night (most often). If you do not have a fixed home address in The Hague or another municipality in the Netherlands, you can temporarily register under a mailing address. You must apply for this at the municipality. A mailing address (briefadres) is not where you live but only where you receive post. This way you can still get important post from the government and other official bodies. When you apply for a mailing address, the municipality will investigate whether you really have no fixed home address.

Who is it for?

A mailing address is a temporary solution for people who do not have a fixed home address for a certain period of time. For example, if you are homeless, staying in a care facility or not able to live in your own home due to a separation/divorce.


  • Would you like to receive your mail temporarily at the address of a friend, acquaintance or family member? Then this person must make sure that you actually receive your correspondence.

  • You can be registered at only 1 address in the Netherlands. This is either a residential address or a mailing address.
  • The address you use in the application must be a recognised residential address. It is not possible to use a company address or a post office box number as a mailing address.
  • A mailing address is usually valid for a short period.
  • The person allowing you to use his address (main occupant or owner of the address) must be registered in The Hague at the mailing address.

Read more about the conditions (in Dutch) in the official documents:

    Needed for the application

    A valid form of identification


    Belangrijke informatie:

    Are you moving to the Netherlands for the first time or are you deregistered and would you like to register again? Then this procedure does not apply to you. In that case contact the municipality.

    1. Apply for a mailing address at the municipality

    • It is not possible to apply for a mailing address online. You need to make an appointment and visit the counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.
    • During the appointment you will get an application form for a mailing address (aanvraagformulier briefadres) and a declaration of consent (toestemmingsverklaring).
    • After you and the person allowing you to use his address have completed and signed the application form and declaration of consent, you make another appointment at the Department of Public Service counter. You bring the application form and the declaration of consent to the appointment and then apply for a mailing address.

    Make an appointment

    • The municipal employee will check whether the forms have been completed correctly and will forward the application to a staff member who will check whether you are eligible for a mailing address.

    2. Apply for a mailing address at the Daklozenloket

    Are you homeless and are you not able to receive your post at the home address of a friend, acquaintance or family member? Apply for a mailing address at the Daklozenloket. You can call the desk or visit during the consultation hours at Fruitweg 17.

    How long does it take?

    This depends on the situation. It can take up to 4 weeks if an investigation is required.



    Cancel mailing address

    Once you (again) have a home address, you will have to cancel your mailing address. Report your new home address in the Netherlands or in a foreign country to the municipality.

    Information for main occupant

    • Are you the main occupant and are you not sure whether to give permission to use your address as a mailing address? For example, because you do not know what the consequences will be for your welfare benefits, rent benefit or taxes. Then you should contact the relevant authorities before giving your consent.
    • You can always revoke your permission again. Go to Request address investigation.

    Also see