Registration procedures for asylum seekers

Are you coming from abroad, are you an asylum seeker and will you be staying in The Hague for more than 4 months? Then you need to register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).


  • You are an asylum seeker.
  • You will be staying in The Hague for more than 4 months.
  • In order to register you must have a valid residence permit or a valid foreign nationals identity document (Vreemdelingen Identiteitsbewijs type W). View the information under Foreign Nationals Identity Document (Type W and W2) on the website of the IND.

If this situation does not apply to you, have a look at Settling in The Hague from abroad.

Belangrijke informatie:

Are you coming from abroad and have you been registered in the Netherlands before? Or if you already have a citizen service number (BSN) or the old Sofi number, go to Resettling in The Hague from abroad.

    What you need at the appointment

    • your valid foreign nationals identity document or residence permit
    • the report from the IND on the initial and follow-up interview
    • a relocation certificate from the Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA), only for people with a foreign nationals identity document
    • valid form of identification (if you have it). A driving licence will not be accepted
    • proof of occupancy
    • a custody order for unaccompanied minor asylum seekers (under 18 years)
    • all family members who wish to register

    If you are in possession of the following relevant documents, please take them with you to the appointment:

    • a recently-issued original birth certificate
    • if you are married, a recently-issued original marriage certificate

    These documents will be reviewed during your appointment. They are not required for registration. Both documents can also be presented at a later date. Make an appointment to do this (go to the appointment button below).

    Make an appointment

    Let op!

    Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.

    • Make an online appointment.
    • Indicate how many people will be at the appointment.
    • All of the people need to appear at the appointment in person.

      Make an appointment (in Dutch)


      This service is provided free of charge.

      How long does it take?

      After the first appointment, in most cases a follow-up appointment will be made with you. It takes a maximum of 4 weeks after the follow-up appointment before you are registered in the BRP.


      Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of the Dutch government.


      Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.