1st BRP registration for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens coming from abroad (you do not have a BSN)

Do you have the citizenship (nationality) of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland? Are you coming from abroad to live in The Hague for 4 months or longer? And have you never previously lived in the Netherlands? Then you need to register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is required by law.

Belangrijke informatie: Do you have Dutch citizenship? Then go to 1st BRP registration for Dutch citizens coming from abroad.

Have you lived in the Netherlands before? Do you already have a citizen service number (BSN)? Or will you be staying for less than 4 months? Go to Registering again in the BRP.


  • You are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.
  • You will be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer.
  • You have not previously been registered in the Netherlands.
  • You do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN).

Do you want to backdate your registration? This can be done on the date you have scheduled the appointment. Even if the appointment is later.

You have then

  • made an appointment for a 1st registration or renewal of registration
  • made the appointment after you came to live in the Netherlands
  • a copy of the appointment confirmation with you (you will receive this by e-mail. You can print this or show it on your telephone, tablet or laptop. Please note! The date of your scheduled appointment must be clearly visible)

Needed at the appointment

If you were born, married or divorced abroad, also take the following documents to the appointment:

  • Your birth certificate.
  • If applicable: the birth certificates of your partner and/or your children.
  • If applicable: your marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership.
  • If applicable: divorce papers.
  • If applicable: adoption papers and/or a death certificate for your partner or child(ren).

These documents are not required for registration. Nevertheless take them with you to your appointment. The municipality will review these documents. If they are in order, the information will be registered in the BRP.

Sometimes your certificate or document needs to be legalised and/or translated. You can look up country specific information on the website of the Dutch government. Choose the country which issued your document. 

Make an appointment


Make an appointment

By telephone

Would you like to make an appointment for you and your family? You can call the municipality on tel. 14070 to make an appointment.
From abroad you can call tel. +31 70 353 30 00 to make an appointment.

Bring your documents to the Department of Public Service counter at the Segbroek district office.

Belangrijke informatie:

Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time to help you.

If you:

you need to make an appointment at The Hague International Centre.



How long does it take?

Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN) by post.

Good to know

  • Have your birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce papers, adoption certificate(s) or other important documents not (yet) been registered in the BRP? Have this done as quickly as possible. Make an appointment to register foreign source documents in the BRP.  
  • Would you like to know which personal data the Dutch population register (BRP) contains and what this information is used for? Read about this on the website of the Dutch government.
  • Will you be moving to another address in The Hague after you registered? Report your move.
  • Will you be moving to another municipality in the Netherlands or abroad after you registered? Report your move to the new municipality or deregister.
  • Everybody 16 years and older is allowed to report his or her own move if he or she has not been placed under guardianship.
    Also see: Information on the website of the Dutch government about Brexit and British citizens in the Netherlands