Getting married or entering into a civil partnership

You make your relationship official through marriage or a civil partnership. Also the rights and obligations in your relationship, such as pension and inheritance.

  • Everyone 18 years and older can get married or enter into a civil partnership. People of the same gender may also do the same.

  • Under Dutch law you cannot be married and enter into a civil partnership at the same time.
  • You apply for a marriage or civil partnership by Begin link: registering your intent, end link. . You do this at least 8 weeks before the planned date.
  • You can Begin link: register your intended marriage or civil partnership, end link. in any municipality in the Netherlands. It is most practical to do this in the municipality where you are going to marry or enter into a partnership.
  • The marriage/partnership will be registered by a civil registrar (trouwambtenaar). 
  • The official part of the ceremony (the mandatory wording) is always in Dutch. The rest of the ceremony can be done in another language.

You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.


How can we help?


More options

To contact page