Driving licence, general information

A driving licence allows you to drive a motor vehicle or ride a motorbike. Your driving licence is also a proof of identity. In many cases you can use it to identify yourself.

To be able to apply for a driving licence at the municipality, you must be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality. Look for more information about applying for a driving licence in The Hague.

Diplomatic status

Do you work for an international organisation or do you have diplomatic status? Then you and your immediate family members do not need a Dutch driving licence. You will, however, need a valid foreign driving licence and an identity card for privileged persons from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Would you nevertheless like to apply for a Dutch driving licence and are you registered as a resident of The Hague? Then you may visit City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. Are you registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Then you may submit your application to the Dutch Road Transport Directorate (RDW) in Veendam.

International Driving Permit

You cannot obtain an International Driving Permit at the municipality but rather at the ANWB. More information can be found on the website of the ANWB (in Dutch).

    Published: 9 January 2017Modified: 16 December 2019